3-Speed motorized bike experiment

blaze, make me one of the jackshaft kit for me.
how much do you want for it?

I did this with a 7 speed.

check out my post put the jackshaft in the frame. This rear wheel is an internal 7 speed. You could easily drive this jack shaft from the left side.

Hi Zomby,

How can I find your post regarding the 7 sp tranny?

Thanks!

Andrew

hi i was wondering if that 3 speed worked out for you with the jack shaft i was planning the same thing and gradually modiying it to see if i can hit 70 i know its a stretch but it would still be cheaper than a car or mc

Hi guys, interesting discussion on solving the gearbox issue...... To be honest i'm sort of impatient to see how it works out! I have a bit of a different idea, i haven't thinked it through completely yet but i would like to go this route: http://www.sussex.com.tw/se2.htm
The reply i got 2 weeks ago: Dear Sir, the cost for one sample is US$80, plus freight cost. The normal FOB price for a minimum order of 200 is US$48. There are 3 ratios for our shaft drive system - you have a choice of 1.53, 1.77 and 2.07.

I was thinking of driving the rear wheel of the lefthand side via a custom made adaptor that bolts onto a shimano xt discbrake hub. Nevertheless it is not my intention to veer of topic here......
As i said i'm curious to see how this 3-speed experiment works out, good luck & if possible lots of photos please!!!
Anthos

Maybee this could work

Basicaly the same set up as described throughout this thread, using the jackshaft to transfer the engine power to the right side so the existing casette on the rear wheel will function as normal (changing gears) so obviously bike chain needed for this.
Here's the change, Instead of the pedal chain ring being on the right side, swap it to the left side (easy done). Then having pedal power on left side attach a 22 tooth freewheel single sprocket to left side of back wheel (could be difficult) but not impossible, baring in mind it needs to be attached to permit forward movement of the wheel, Perhaps silver solder on to hub or some other method ? and that is basicaly it, appart from the sprocket attached to the right side of the jack shaft would need to be fairly large to be compatible with the sprockets on the rear cassette e.g. so you could use all sprockets on the cassette, that's all. Is there any merit in my idea ? I have little mechanical knowledge but i am really interested in this 3 speed idea, if we can do this we will be able to get even better fuel economy from our engines , and we won't have to listen to our engines screaming their little heads off as we demand top speed on long straight flat streatches of ground. tell me what you think, would this work?:cool:

i was thinking about differint gears too but closer to 6 or 7 (jackshaft to left drive) with a mountain bike wheel and derailur i should have it done by the end of the month all i need is the wheel and sprockets for the hub so ive only got the jackshaft. i was thinking about mounting the shaft to the frame between the seat tube and wheel i just need a way to mount it i was thinking about a peice of thick metal to bolt around the tube but i dond know if i would have problems with keeping it streight cuz the engine might throw it off but i will tell if it works or doesnt

:cool:what you can do is weld 1/8" plate onto the frame, then bolt your jackshaft onto it. however, you need to ensure that you can adjust ALL the chains on the shaft separately. that would either be with individual tension rollers, engine mount adjustment and jackshaft adjustments.if not, you may never have proper chain tension to one or more of your drivetrain components.

Myron

Back