49cc vs 66cc vs 80cc

whats the max speed a 49cc can go if moded out? also why would one prefer a 49cc to a 66cc (other than it making it street legal in CA)?
Same gear ratio on both engines running at equal rpm's = the same speed on the same wheel size of course.Just cleaned up the ports and a slightly modded muffler not a tunned pipe and this little 48cc ran up hills like a champ and raced against quite a few 66-69cc set ups and won with a top speed of 48 mph I'm still waiting to see what it will do once it's modded and run with a pipe.

so basically what youre saying is the only difference is the horsepower and with the right mods and upgrades it can compete with 66cc?

so basically what youre saying is the only difference is the horsepower and with the right mods and upgrades it can compete with 66cc?
Yes exactly!My son put over a thousand miles on that one last season.They are a great little engine and set up right can make even more power than a stock 66cc,The only thing is that the aftermarket heads for a 48cc are non exsistant other than the rse (pancake)head or using a puch head.

my repair shop is at a place with hills like walls - I've only seen 4 or 5 of the tiny motors in 10 years I've been open - 66cc or bigger, over 1000
geography matters

my repair shop is at a place with hills like walls - I've only seen 4 or 5 of the tiny motors in 10 years I've been open - 66cc or bigger, over 1000
geography matters
I'm in new Orleans so hills aren't an issue but I'd still rather have the HP, especially since theres no big price difference between the two. i was just curious because ive seen a lot of people sporting the 49cc

they used to be much cheaper than the larger ones - now, all are pretty cheap & they make money on the repair & custom parts

so i should just buy the basic kit/engine and just mod it myself. i figured as much but thought i would ask.

I open the motor and check that ports are reasonable, I oil bottom end and base gaskets and cylinder walls, then torque head - next, I grease clutch arm & bucking bar - next, I grease small bevel; gear and make sure clutch isn't stuck - I then check kit parts and take metal bracket out of CDI bag and put in 3 zip ties.

ready to sell at about $15 less than the u-moto site sells them for

Note: if they sit on shelf longer than a month, I check head torque again when I sell them

I never mod anything, and if one wants transportation rather than a hobby, I don't recommend moddng anything.

Back