A better engine for a board track replica

That little v twin looks perfect! Sadly I think the only way I'll be able to get the look I want without breaking the bank is to start welding/fabricating my own stuff.

Like many others here, I love the old board track racers, and while the replicas that many people make look beautiful, the engine never just looks right to me. Is there anywhere we can purchase low power singles and/or vtwins that look even somewhat like the old engines from the 'teens? I say low power, because we all know a 1000cc modern vtwin would tear a bicycle frame in half, yet the old 1913 indian racer had a 1000cc v twin that had less than 10 horsepower. Does anyone make a vintage looking, low power v twin or large single?

I think if one ground the cylinder fins in a circle and then put on one of those billet heads on it may look more vintage. Still woudn't look like a boardtracker but it may look alot like a 1914 Pope single.

Andrew - you're right, that Komet KPV-100 would look great in a bike. Yikes on the price though.

Meatwad - that's a great idea, I feel kinda like a bozo for never thinking of that haha. I'll have to try that once I get my bike.

I am new to this but was hopen y'all had a good sugestion I was thinkink of usein a 5hp briggs but I also want speed of at least 40

I've got the same delima i have found a new head design that makes it a bit taller I'm thinking of trying it out on mine problem I got is I dont want to pedal

I have been looking for a engine for my next build for some time now. After looking at thousands of pic on hundreds of sites, I have now given up.......
I didn't find anything that looks right or cost BIG$$$$$$$$s.
This is what I'm going to try. It's a cheap Harbor Freight 79cc. It will be mounted as shown with the cylinder vertical. It's a simple splash oiling system so just by adjusting the oil level and new dip stick, it will work. (note: the cam in this engine is plastic!!) All the tin, extra mounts and plastic fan will come off.
A nice cover for the coil and new carb mount and some antiquing I think it will look better. Worst case, I'll burn it up......at least I'll know "that" doesn't work !!

Attachments

• 007.JPG
    007.JPG
    84.6 KB · Views: 7,518
  • 008.JPG
    008.JPG
    83.5 KB · Views: 6,961
  • 009.JPG
    009.JPG
    83.9 KB · Views: 6,232
Here I will state the odviouse- the engines of those days were hopelessly inefficiant. What required 500cc of motor in 1905 can now be accomplished with 48cc. People who make replica aircraft run into the same issue- making it quite difficult to create an accurate craft that is safe to fly. Given the displacement of some of these mills tha you all are drooling over, you might as well cross the line and build it as a motorcycle...
just my $.02-
the Old Sgt.

49cc's being 500cc of side valve power

totally different unit.Different look different power. both fun. but 500cc of any bike is scary fun on a bicycle wohoh! ! !

Back