A challenge in finding a decent suspension fork…

Al Regresar

Local time
5:18 AM
I love an challenge…Apparently, it is no easy matter finding a suspension fork for a 26” wheel 1” headset mountain bike. Most modern bikes have 1 & 1/8 “ headsets and 26 “ wheel bikes have gone the way of the dinosaurs. Everybody, so they say, has switched to the 29’er.

Bike people advise that you get what you pay for. RST forks seem perfect for 100 dollars and change and come from Taiwan. Really though they are low grade items from China and break. Most budget options are the same.

Most American made forks are 1 & 1/8 “ headsets and are for v or disc breaks and are not low budget (250-1000).

Old school Rock Shox (1 “) will work but don’t come with disc tabs. Marzocchi, Manitou, Answer forks all seem to be 1 & 1/8 “ headsets. Is it possible to convert old school non disc to disc safely? I am just street riding.

I would like to stay with the dumpster bike (Mongoose Sycamore) and put mags on it but may have to start looking for another frame set with suspension forks and disk brakes. Thoughts?

P.s. I’ve looked at Craigslist, Pinkbike, eBay, and Amazon.

I'm not a bicycle guy by any stretch, so forgive my lack of understanding. Could you not simply go with a fork for a 27.5 or 29" wheel that would meet the other criteria?

01616_3n8x0wFopKC_0pO0CI_1200x900.jpg

This is a good bike/buy. Is this what your looking for? $50

Jeez, if I needed a bike I'd buy this in a heartbeat.

Is it possible to convert old school non disc to disc safely? I am just street riding....and put mags on it
I did it...Just read my "tutorial" to see just how I did it is all...lol.

I did it...Just read my "tutorial" to see just how I did it is all...lol.

Thanks. I remember the Adele clamp. I think that I got sucked into a hyper focused online ‘problem solving research brain’ for hours at a time and lost some perspective. It is not a totally unenjoyable process. Thanks, to all for your replies. I’m back.

Back