Air Filter

jhami970

Local time
7:08 AM
Hey everyone, I have an hp carburetor jetted and tuned perfectly to high elevation and my bike but I had a problem where the float bowl wasn't level causing too lean of a air to fuel ratio. I fixed it and leveled out the engine but it doesn't fit with the carburetors air filter on. There is only about 1 inch of room between the air intake in the carb and the frame post on the bike so putting it on is impossible. Is it ok to run the bike w/o the filter? If not, can I build one out of a thin cloth or something. LMK, thanks.

Maybe some foam and a hose clamp or zip tie. If it's not winter you'll probably want an air filter of some kind. I use the stock air filter but keep it clean and oiled.

Been running my bike without air filter for 250+ hard miles, engine runs as great as ever! I can’t really recommend you take it out completely but from my experience it has been fine. Saw this guy on YouTube with a motorized bike at over 10,000 miles and he says in the vid that he never uses an air filter...

you can make one, use the foam filter for a mower you find int he lawn and garden section of big box stores. the easiest way is what greasy chris recommended. a z offset intake, or make your own intake. the intakes are like 10 bucks, they come in long and short and 32-40mm and universal. just make sure you pay attention to what you are getting. if you have 40mm spacing, get the 40, if 32mm get the 32mm. you have to watch the bowl location, sometimes( if offset left) it hits the clutch arm and the arm needs to be rotated or bent when using a offset intake. if you make it come out the right side, you might hit the choke lever when riding.

Back