An alternative to heat-shrink tubing

I used liquid tape on cracked vacuum lines before down and dirty at a used car lot. It worked where the lines were cracked ''pretty darn good too''. I was quite surprised when some one showed me that trick.

I recently used wire glue to reassemble the multi C-cell battery pack that was the guts of an old B&D cordless tool battery pack. It had two bad cells and would NOT hold a charge, so I disassembled it, identified and removed the bad cells, shocked the remaining cells with 12V DC for 10 seconds each to remove the "memory effect" in them, and reassembled the array with wire glue. Works like a new battery, and I spent about $5 for it, not $45. Holds a charge well, recharges as quickly as ever.

If you decide to do this, be careful shocking the C cells - make a battery holder on extended leads you can put into a container before turning on the current. I haven't had it happen to me, but they CAN explode.

There are two types of self vulcanizing tape.

The first (and older) version you can find in Home Depot or Lowes - it is rubber-based, black tape. It comes wrapped using a paper liner to separate the layers of the roll. The 3M Scotch version is called 'Rubber Mastic Tape." This stuff works great, and it makes a nice frame tube wrap instead of inner tubes, when you need to clamp something to the bike frame. However, it IS subject to UV degradation, so you should wrap it with a thin layer of vinyl electrical tape if the job is exposed to sunlight.

The second version is very similar, but is silicone based. It can be a in a wide variety of colors, but the standard is clear. (and, it's available at Harbor Freight for under $5.) It doesn't appear to degrade under UV light, either. One Name-Brand version is http://www.mocap.com/silicone-tape.htmlXtreme Tape. The silicone tape is flexible at temperatures as low as -60F and won't burn until temps get over +500 degrees F!

Attachments

• 80610737662.jpg
    80610737662.jpg
    29.4 KB · Views: 658
  • Silicone-X-Treme-Tape-group1.jpg
    Silicone-X-Treme-Tape-group1.jpg
    6.4 KB · Views: 615
Last edited:
Back