Anyone else annoyed by the question "how fast does it go?"

A stunt rider on a grom is having more fun than someone cruising on the highway.
I dunno... I can let you borrow my VFR1200 and have you go full throttle to about 150mph, which is the top of 4th gear and it gets there VERY quickly (it can reach 199 at 11k in 6th gear if you really want to go all the way). Tell me how much adrenaline and dopamine you have on board after your experience.

Keep in mind that not everybody is you, and some of us out there can both have fun with something and be bored by it at the same time. Why do you think I own a nearly 200hp motorcycle but also choose to ride around on a 19ish hp one and also ride a Phantom powered bicycle? Each one is fun for it's own reason.

My Honda can go 0-64mph in first gear and do it in under 3 seconds... while holding the front wheel a couple feet in the air if you aren't careful. Speaking from experience when I say that's a hoot.

Meanwhile, my other bike takes all 5 of it's gears to reach 60 and at a pace that would make a base model geo metro proud, and can (eventually) do 72-74mph if the wind isn't blowing in my face. Yet with it's dual sport suspension and tires I can take it basically anywhere.

Then my Phantom powered Kent, which I am convinced weighs the same as just the rear wheel and tire on my Honda, can reach about 50mph and happily cruises at 30mph all day long without overheating or stressing itself too hard. The ridiculously light weight, simplicity, and freedom of it are rewarding. The buzz of a small 2 stroke engine is also just kind of satisfying, as is the fact that I am riding something that I put together myself.

All the time. followed by, "Do you need insurance and/or license?"
I tell people in my state Tennessee if it's 50cc or less you don't need insurance, registration, or operating equipment other than a rear red reflector and head light for night riding. You do now need a class, M-limited driver's license. Use to be all that was needed was a Class D operator's license.

My favorite one is will it go up a hill?

Back