Anyone Riding To Work...Rain Or Shine?

Amish Bike Riders

Amish, bike riders HAVE to be the most dedicated out there. this yr. while it was -40* and 12"+ drifts on the roads they were out there morning and night, getting on with life.

steve

Last summer on a very hot summer evening I was driving my pick-up through some Michigan hill country. I had the air conditioner going and was remided how thankful I should be for it ... passed a young Amish woman slowly peddaling a bike with groceries on the back up a hill in her heavy, full length, long sleeved dress and bonnett. Made me feel a little pampered.

I pull my oldest grandaughter to school mon-fri rain or shine
then her sister and me come back home :):):),
and then, we do the opposite in the afternoon :D:cool::D

Attachments

• mini-trailer left side.jpg
    mini-trailer left side.jpg
    101.5 KB · Views: 277
  • mini-trailer right side.jpg
    mini-trailer right side.jpg
    102.2 KB · Views: 286
I ride around looking for work, and getting side work. Also running errands. I try not to ride in the rain, but it happens sometimes in FL. Also ride in the freezing cold sometimes. It was under 25 here, very unusual for FL.

dang, 5-7H', thank you...MB commuters (and bike-pool grampas) are on the front-line in our lil' revolution. just make sure to post us once in a while on how the "sacrifice" is payin' off :cool:

Last edited:
We have four drivers and four cars in our household. Daughter's car is up for sale, has no insurance and sits idle. My van is in the repair shop since Monday. Son goes to visit his dog in quarantine or goes surfing, work and school. Daughter drove to bf's house, won't be back till Monday morning. Wife relies on son for errands.

I have THREE bikes to use and almost my entire life is within a 7-mile radius.

I do not need to share my bikes.

All this is beginning to make sense.

It's all about empowerment, living an more independent lifestyle.

Case in point. I cut my own hair and haven't visited the barber since 1987. My hair's getting sparse on the top so I shaved my head. Coworkers are shocked to see me go from shoulder-length hair to bald head.

Once again it's all about not paying money and not depending on someone else's schedule.

augidog, you are right. The payoff is immediate! I saved $256 so far on parking expense.

Roughly 80% of our workforce commute by car. One driver, no passengers. The ones that don't have paid parking jockey on the streets come in extra early to find parking. One 57yo woman is late every day and feeds the parking meter all day. She also parks a block away.

The ones that do have paid parking in our building are constantly worried that fees are rising or that they'll lose their stall to someone else.

Two other workers out of 300 ride their bicycles to work. We have free secured covered parking in the building.

99% of my fellow workers are caught up in the ratrace of the great parking dilemna. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Rain? HA! Try riding it to work every day in Michigan. I ride in blizzards!

haha I remember riding my full suspension haro in 1+ft deep snow during storms in Niagara Falls...
I done my time in slush as a tow/recovery owner/driver, now I appreciate the desert
I figure 2-3 months of too hot is better than 5-6 of too cold
no grass/snow to cut/shovel is ok too :):):)

Back