Are There Any NE-5 Auto Clutches Out There

Cool. That answers that question. I have read a few post that said you had to destroy the seal to get it out. I'm going to attempt to duplicate Quenton's clutch.
When you say Q Clutch? which clutch is that? Pressed on Hardened sleeve modification

Just pry that seal up going in a circle it'll pop out in good condition

If ya ruin a grease seal you can still use your clutch That grease seal isn't that critical, Just don't over grease the one way bearing,
A dab of grease about the size of your fingernail is good to grease the One way bearing, I mix molly with wheel bearing grease
I don't even use a Grease seal on my clutch

New seals can be bought, just measure it and look em up on line there common
Great! Thanks for the pics.

When you say Q Clutch? which clutch is that? Pressed on Hardened sleeve modification

Just pry that seal up going in a circle it'll pop out in good condition
that's the one. It would be great to get them going again. In October of 2013 we had a discussion about how to duplicate that clutch. I couldn't get at the time and I still can't. I do want to give it a try. Gettin closer every day.

I'm going to apply aircraft technology the my Q-clutch. Half the holding pressure and high temp adhesive for metal. It will be stronger due to the lack for stress by splitting the holding pressure in half.

I have two sets of 26" Worksman Wheels, one for each bike.

Both bike have minor mods, lapped valves, decked, and some intake work. Both bikes run. The black one starts first time every time. There are still issues to work out.

I like the way you secured your exhaust. I have been sourcing parts. Still have a few odds and ends to get. I have located pretty much everything.

Having a hardened center shaft is the main thing to your auto clutch lasting

I never liked how the Whizzer Auto Clutch was designed to spin and stay together
The floating retaining washer to hold it together wasn't working good at all for me, the centrifugal force, forces the clutch apart
The washer would eat into the face of the clutch , It was too sloppy, and the drum didn't cover the clutch shoes far enough.
So I mounted a face plate and modified my Auto clutch like this

Face plate
DSCF0561.JPG

Bronze collar bushing and a regular bronze washer (bushing)
DSCF0562.JPG

See how the face plate floats between the bronze washers.
There's another bronze washer between the face plate and the shaft bearing
DSCF0563.JPG

Pic of collar bushing and reg bronze washer
DSCF0569.JPG

Bronze washer on the shaft bearing
DSCF0564.JPG

To make all this work I shaved the centershaft down too 35mm
and made sure the spacer in between the two 6901 bearings in the center shaft was the correct length
Taiwan made alot of those spacers short
DSCF6620.JPGDSCF6621.JPG

DSCF0566.JPG

DSCF0567.JPG

Lightened the clutch shoes to get a higher RPM engagement and better springs -
See the metal I cut out by the springs to lighten the shoes, Fine tuning to get that engagement rpm I like just right
I also have the One Way bearing positioned so it rides farther down on the shaft, This is why I don't use a grease seal here
DSCF0568.JPG

clutch drum covers the shoes fully
DSCF0575.JPG

DSCF0576.JPG

DSCF0577.JPG

My high miles of 41K will tell ya this works good.

Clutch spin without friction, better alignment and the clutch drum covers the shoe pads

The top bronze washer takes all the wear and can be easily replaced, usually every 3K - 5k miles
BTW that's about how long a set of clutch shoe's lasts too. 3K -5K miles
DSCF0561.JPG

I don't expect you to do this Because it takes alot of figuring and commitment because ya gott shave down the center shaft to 35mm for this design to work

But it might give you some Ideas.

Figure a way to use a thrust bearing instead of my face plate and bronze washer would be better,
There's limited space to work with without modifying the belt guard,

Quenton Max Torque Clutch, Made in USA

Q had these made @ Max Torque Clutch, for New Generation Whizzer

DSCF0580.JPG

See how they use a Thrust Bearing, My design for the Whizzer auto clutch is same but with bronze bushings,
DSCF0563.JPG
A thrust bearing could be installed on a Whizzer clutch with some fabrication,
DSCF0581.JPG

DSCF0582.JPG

DSCF0583.JPG

Max Torque uses sintered shoes and a garter spring
DSCF0585.JPG

Garter spring, which can be bought in different strengths
DSCF0586.JPG

Sintered shoes, which can be bought in different weights
DSCF0587.JPG
Max Torque pulley sizes are smaller
DSCF0584.JPG

DSCF0590.JPG

Max Torque has a 3-5 mph slower top end speed and the rpms will be about 1K higher
Max Torque is a good hill climber and overall an excellent clutch - replacement parts can be bought thru Max Torque

I used it for a while but I like the Whizzer 90 mm auto clutch top speed and overall power band performance.

Check with Q maybe he had some more made

Looking for a couple of NE-5 auto clutches. Even a couple of the drums would be fine.
Hi, if you contact the seller you bought the motor from ebay, he should have something. Tell him what your looking for. Cause he's got lots of whizzer parts and stuff.
I'll post some pictures of mine, 3 different sizes, 90mm, 70mm, 50mm. Also different auto clutch arms. Mine are not for sale.
Better hurry before wench tries to contact him first.

Ray
20230311_152633.jpg
20230311_095836.jpg
20230311_152337.jpg
DSCN3261.jpg

I never liked how the Whizzer Auto Clutch was designed to spin and stay together
The floating washer to hold it together wasn't working good at all for me, the centrifugal force, forces the clutch apart
The washer would eat into the face of the clutch , It was too sloppy, and the drum didn't cover the clutch shoes far enough.
So I mounted a face plate and modified my Auto clutch like this

Face plate
View attachment 188945
Bronze collar washer and a regular bronze washer
View attachment 188946
See how the face plate floats between the bronze washers. There's another bronze between the face plate and the shaft bearing
View attachment 188947
Pic of collar washer and reg bronze washer
View attachment 188953

Bronze washer on the shaft bearing
View attachment 188948

To make all this work I shaved the centershaft down too 35mm

View attachment 188950
View attachment 188951

Lightened the clutch shoes to get a higher RPM engagement - See the metal I cut out by the springs to lighten the shoes
I also have the One Way bearing positioned so it rides farther down on the shaft, This is why I don't use a grease seal here
View attachment 188952
clutch drum covers the shoes
View attachment 188955
View attachment 188956
View attachment 188957

My high miles of 41K will tell ya this works good.

Clutch spin without friction, better alignment and the clutch drum covers the shoe pads

The top bronze washer takes all the wear and can be easily replaced, usually every 3K - 5k miles
View attachment 188945

I don't expect you to do this Because it takes alot of figuring and cominment because ya gott shave down the center shaft to 35mm for this design to work

But it might give you some

Quenton Max Torque Clutch, Made in USA

Q had these made @ Max Torque Clutch, for New Generation Whizzer

View attachment 188995
See how they use a Thrust Bearing, My design for the Whizzer auto clutch is same but with bronze bushings,
View attachment 189013
A thrust bearing could be installed on a Whizzer clutch with some fabrication,
View attachment 188996
View attachment 188997
View attachment 188998

Max Torque uses sintered shoes and a garter spring
View attachment 189000
Garter spring, which can be bought in different strengths
View attachment 189001
Sintered shoes, which can be bought in different weights
View attachment 189002Max Torque pulley sizes are smaller
View attachment 188999
View attachment 189003
Max Torque has a 3-5 mph slower top end speed and the rpms will be about 1K higher
Max Torque is a good hill climber and overall an excellent clutch - replacement parts can be bought thru Max Torque

I used it for a while but I like the Whizzer 90 mm auto clutch top speed and overall power band performance.

Check with Q maybe he had some more made
Thanks for the information. I'm not confident that I will be able to acquire even one clutch like the one's you've showed, not to mention a set of quality lifters. That's not a deal breaker. I'm confident that I can make this work. Questions still pop up.

I have a 90mm and a 70mm. The red bike was my first. I have had that bike up to 50mph cruises at 45mph, with minimal modifications using Joe's clutch. I never installed the lighter springs that were supplied with the clutch and they lock up well. They work good on each bike. They definitely work better than the stock clutches. Looking forward to looking inside Joe's clutch.

Back