Ask the Experts......... [bicycle history]

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just got this one today. No badge, but the frame & fork look Monark. (Monarch?)

100_2954.JPG100_2955.JPG
100_2957.jpg

The chainring doesn't look Monarch ???? (Neither do the apehangers...hahahaha)

100_2956.JPG

The stem has only one bolt..... the quill bolt also pinches the handlebars. I've never seen that one before.

100_2961.JPG

Red band coaster hub.....

100_2959.JPG

100_2963.jpg

Any Ideas??

Last edited:
Dave, the frame and fork definitely look like Monark. The chain ring looks like it may be a DP Harris (Rollfast). The hub with the red band is a Bendix. That stem with one bolt is from a children's bike. See the scan from my 1941 Columbia catalog for an illustration of that. That stem has less of a forward reach and was intended for the younger (smaller) riders. I hope this helps.

Attachments

• columbiacatalogpage.jpg
    columbiacatalogpage.jpg
    113.8 KB · Views: 728
thanks, Chris.

I was told the chainring was AMF... & the funny stem was from a ladies bike...and the chain guard was a Snyder/Rollfast.

any idea what the range of years this frame & fork was produced??

thanks, Chris.

I was told the chainring was AMF... & the funny stem was from a ladies bike...and the chain guard was a Snyder/Rollfast.

any idea what the range of years this frame & fork was produced??

That chainring could be an AMF, but it doesn't look like the chainring on either of the AMF bikes I have. The funny stem was more than likely from a girl's bike.
I'd say that frame was likely made between 1948 and 1955.

Ok..... this one might be a stretch.

It's BMX, it's Murray..... I've been on the BMX museum site & found nothing like it.
BMX has become part of bicycle heritage.... just hope somebody knows maybe when it was built.
Any help is appreciated.

100_2970.JPG100_2972.JPG
label says: "Murray Ohio Mfg. Company Lawrenceburg, Tenn.. USA"

100_2971.JPG100_2975.JPG<--- Bendix 76 -- Mexico

100_2976.jpg100_2974.jpg

100_2977.JPG100_2978.JPG

Those forks are being reproduced by a guy in Southern Calif.
He was selling them last fall at the Long Beach cycle swap meet for $90.

I'm not saying that yours are repops, but there is a chance they could be.

I couldn't find anything on the net about a bike I purchased today at the Mission for $10.00. Perhaps someone here will know. Top bar decal reads" Graff Floris Original made in Holland." 28" tires, fully enclosed pedal chainguard, single speed, generator w/ front light(back light missing), back rack has plastic rear spoke guards draped on bothsides. Frame has welded socket type fixtures at all joints. Back wheel is badly bent but I figure 700c wheels and tires will work. Other than back wheel bike is in decent shape. Any idea? Thanks!

I got a slim lead on that- They may have been built by Murray...

Thanks Rif......to confirm, I got a bunch of bikes this winter. check out the Murray built, Flying O.
flyingO.JPG O 2.JPG
I'm sure this bike looks older than it really is.
is that patina? or just rust? hahaha

speaking of rust...check out the Hawthorne. I have no idea of the age???

009.JPG010.JPG004.JPG006.JPG007.JPG011.JPG
Something is missing from the tank? There are matching holes on both sides.

Here's a pic of the bunch, before I got them put away.
001.JPG

J C Higgins help

I just purchased this bike from a friend I work with. I have not seen the bike yet, but the price was too good to pass on. I have spent the same on a second hand bike for my daughter and hers is a 2 yearold huffy. I have been assured that it was well cared for and stored in a garage for the past few (30+ years) I will get it monday, but I was wondering what anyone knew about it. Here is a pic that I have. It is billed as a 50 yearold J C Higgins.

Attachments

• J C Higgins.jpg
    J C Higgins.jpg
    7.1 KB · Views: 622
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back