Beginner in LA Question- Preassembled bikes?

Discussion in 'Spare Parts, Tools & Product Developement' started by Indurt, Oct 4, 2007.

1. Indurt

Indurt Guest

Hi all,
    I go to school and work full time, so I don't think I have the time or knowledge to install a bicycle engine on the bike I already own ( A Dahon Espresso). I was wondering whether any of you knew how I could obtain an assembled bike. I was thinking of purchasing one from Spooky Tooth, but I've read that two-stroke engines can break down more easily than four-stroke engines. I really need an affordable form of transportation as soon as possible, so I'd really appreciate any advice you might have. Thank you!
    Beginner in Los Angeles

<
  2. spunout

spunout Member

kingsmotorbikes.com has pre-assembled bikes, also.

3. mickey

mickey Guest

As does fiveflagsmotorbikes.com.

4. skyl4rk

skyl4rk Guest

SpookyTooth did a good job for me, I have a Violation and am very happy with it, except that it is a single speed pedal bike. I would recommend the Qurve, having gears helps out when starting out pedaling from a stop. You will probably want to add fenders. You can get the old fashioned steel fenders for 26" bikes pretty cheap, they work good. The Partial Assembly option was what I got, it was pretty easy to put it together, all the hard stuff was done.

Qurve

Attached Files:

5. mickey

mickey Guest

That is a great looking bike, skyl4rk

6. iRide Customs

iRide Customs Member

If you aren't too mechanically inclined, you might want to go with a GEBE. The chinese happy times have a tendency to be "needy" if ya know what I mean.

Dan

7. gone_fishin

gone_fishin Guest

he's right, yaknow.

if you don't want to revel in the sheer delight of tinkering as much as riding, you should go with something designed for low-maintenance and high-reliabilty...almost all kits that meet that involve a rear-rack, good commuter stuff. and, if you have the bucks to bang right off the bat & are in the right area and situation, go whizzer.

8. Alaskavan

Alaskavan Guest

I started with a Staton friction drive. It took about 1/2 hour to install. If your commute isn't too long, and you're in a dry climate, it's a good option.

9. 5-7HEAVEN

5-7HEAVEN Guest

:cool:I second the recommendation for a STATON friction drive on your DAHON. installation is not hard. i installed one with a ROBIN 35cc engine. it is a troublefree and powerful combination. you drive straight to the gas pump to fill up $1 worth of gas, which lasts a long time.top speed is maybe 26mph. quite fast for a squirrelly bike.:shock:

the roller slips a bit if the road is wet, but you can always pedal then.

the only setback is that you won't be able to fold the bike anymore. you can "bend" it 2/3 of the way, but not completely fold it.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 12, 2007