Big bore piston wash

DieselTech

Local time
1:24 AM
Ok guys I was getting Sparesbrook ready for the new cylinder head I recieved. It's a 49mm steel sleeve cylinder, it's got right at 340-350 miles on it, squish is set at .73mm. Could I get some input on your guys thoughts on piston wash? How's it look? What needs changed? Stuff like that. I'm trying to learn as much as possible. Heres some pics, there's also a hidden surprise in them pics. Let's see who catches it?
20211016_190539.jpg

Attachments

• 20211016_190450.jpg
    20211016_190450.jpg
    182.9 KB · Views: 149
  • 20211016_190609.jpg
    20211016_190609.jpg
    128.3 KB · Views: 145
Looks like an incomplete burn to me. You may be using too high octane of gas or the spark plug fouled and couldnt ignite each power stroke properly. Either that or you're running waaaaay too rich.

Also it looks like your head gasket was faulty or leaking, there's oil all around the edges

That's copper coat, I use it to seal the cylinder head, it was running richer today with cold weather. I might have carb set a little rich as well. Thanks for your info.

That's copper coat, I use it to seal the cylinder head, it was running richer today with cold weather. I might have carb set a little rich as well. Thanks for your info.
Ahh! Copper coat sounds like a really smart idea to better seal head gaskets, might have to try that

Also richer never hurts, the more oil, the more lubrication the engine gets. Worst it can do is develop more carbon deposits and gum up exhaust ports

Permatex copper coat is some good stuff, comes in a spray can, if you can find it K&W brand copper coat is better in my opinion. The copper seems thicker when sprayed & it adheres better to your parts. Works good on all gaskets as well.

Heres a pic after I took my finger to piston, to wipe it off. Have you spotted the secret these pictures are holding yet?
20211016_190855.jpg

It's got about 340-350 miles on it, but a 120 or so of them miles that 1st saw carb was giving me fits.

Or are you talking about the secret in the pictures? If you noticed it your the only 1 that has caught it.

Back