big tire bike

Offset (sprocket and) motor mounts.
Cartridge bottom bracket? Sick Bike Parts do a wide (152mm(?) square taper axle) bb cartridge, mainly for the four stroke users I think.
I guess! ;) Search the forum with the thingy in the top right corner. :)

Well a fun and useful way is to jackshaft it. Like 200 dollars extra but it is so so so so worth it. This eliminates issues of it not aligning right or needing special parts. With it you'll also of course be able to shift up and down and all around. And since any fat tire bike with a gear set will be properly spaced for chains it just a matter of installation.

If you want to go around it then use strange mounts and such but all and all you may end up spending just as much as you would on a jackshaft kit, except the rear wheel will be bound with 2 chains which makes removal harder, and you can't shift gears which means you have to compromise with a happy medium for sprocket size for where you ride, which might mean buying more sprockets on top of it all.

I think another reason why I love the shift kit is I use a nuvinci hub, I litteraly have zero issues when it comes to shifting since it's well built and completely internal and most importantly doesn't rely on parts touching. It uses a special transmission fluid to cause interaction. Great because I only have a single gear to deal with on the outside, my chain doesn't flex or shift with a derailleur, I don't have gear wear like some people, I don't experience misalignment problems or bad adjustments. I don't care if my single sprocket gets worn I can (very very) easily replace it and it's still in great condition with the same exact chain for a year now and not much stretch. Other people will have multiple problems with extra gears and moving chains touching and badly adjusted derailleurs or even mis-matched shifter derailleur combos.

I only had one real issue, my shifter cable for the upshift line wore out and broke. I was able to jury rig it and get home, and replacement was a 15 minute job WHEN I FELT LIKE IT! I rode for about a week with my band aid fix and didn't have problems.

The only restriction is that I'm stuck with 180% change in ratio of sprocket size in either direction for shifting. So a 22 tooth sprocket is like having a cassette with gears 18 through 39 teeth roughly. I'd prefer having a 14 on my highest gear but wouldn't want to go lower than 38 on my low end. Again it's an option I have to live with but the reduced maintenance needed to ensure that my detailed is accurately adjusted and not having to feel the clunk of shifts is very nice and to me well worth it. I also don't pedal whatsoever and since I tossed a 30 pound engine on a bike I don't see why adding another 8 pounds for a hub would be a problem.

It's roughly 200 for a nuvinci, I got bored and by pure chance and luck won 200 dollars from a lotto ticket while only putting 5 dollars in for the initial investment. I bought it because why not it practically was free. Being free has nothing to do with how much I like it. If it suddenly failed I wouldn't even second think spending another 200 or even 300 on another hub. It's such a beautiful experience to use especially on a motorized bike that I can't see myself being happy ever again if I used a derailleur to shift. In fact I would probably go direct drive and omit a shift kit just because it would be a smoother experience and I couldn't get used to shifting without it so may as well save money till I can again.

Yeah it's that kind of love. Where I can litteraly find the sweet spot for every situation while driving, no more picking between 3 or 4 when it's actually almost 4 but definitely not 3 anymore.

Also the fluid acts as a buffer to shifts, on a normal shift letting off the gas and shifting up and hitting the gas hard you feel it like hitting a small branch in the road when the chain engages the wheel. On this you absolutely can't feel it at all, it's as smooth as an automatic transmission on a car.

Sorry for the long post, I'm just trying to express why a shift kit is nice and the options available to you should you be interested.

I had the same problem - 2.35" rear tire rubbed one or both chains, always. I took the wait & see approach, & sure enough I got a blow out after less than 100 miles.

I F'd up the wheel & the solution since then has been replacing back wheel w/ a 1" width coaster brake wheel of same hub size (for bolt on clamshell sprocket mount). I run a 2" tire on there at 55-65 psi & keep the front tire - still the fat 2.35" - at 48-50 psi.

So far results are good. I do feel a bit more more vibration, but it's not huge unless there's something hella wrong I'd want to notice anyway

Back