Bike Build and Some Questions

Status
Not open for further replies.
How yall doin? So I guess this is the pace to start...

I had joined motorizedbikeforum.the-talk.net but was sorely disappointed with the complete lack of response to nearly everything after waiting their mandatory 7 days before I could even post links (and couldn't post pics at all), so I'd like to post my story here for all willing minds to consider. So, continuing on...

This is my build so far:

Shall I start from the beginning? Well, I got this particular bike at least 15 years ago (maybe more), and rode it a good bit for about 3 years, until school and chores ate up all my free time, so its been sitting quite a while. Well, while roaming around on youtube, I saw this guy Panofish putting an engine kit on his bicycle. I had been contemplating buying a motorcycle or motorized bike, so this sparked my interest. I went on ebay and found a kit from "motor99motor". I got instructions but they weren't very good (as I heard), and the support from this seller was minimal, so I consulted youtube for most of the build. I got the VERY useful advice that on the slant plug engines, you could just rotate the cap 180 to make it fit in a tight frame. I'm going to post PICTURES *in* LINKS for the sake of continuity for this story format. See the comparison for spark plug mounting here:
Spark Plug Original and After Rotating Cap

You may notice that I had to make my own front motor mount, I used pipe strap and a piece of conveyor belt since the kit didn't come with the optional mount the instructions said to use.

Just for reference, I notice on youtube that nobody really has a good close-up of their wiring, so
here's mine. The connectors have double ends on them, so I went blue to blue, black to black, then ran the kill switch to both sides. I don't think the colors on the kill switch matter since all you're doing is shorting the spark module. Just a thought - the white wire is probably for a tachometer...

At this point I should probably say I haven't seen a new bike since I got mine years ago, and apparently they now come with a lot of mounting points for fancy things (found that out while looking for racks and disc brakes), so bear in mind the age of this bike and my lack of knowledge of newer bikes and bicycles in general (as I was never a cycling buff). That said, I'm very unfamiliar with the naming of bike sizes, but I get the feeling my bike was smaller than the engine manufacturer intended, so I've got this little problem. (For future reference, I measured my bicycle rim *inside* diameter, and it
measures about 20"... does that mean I have a 20" bike?)

As you might have noticed
here, in order to even make the carb fit in the frame I had to turn the intake manifold upside down. This puts the carb at a pretty steep angle from vertical, and I suspect that might cause an issue with the float. So thats my first major problem. Any suggestions for that? I've come across a type of angled extended manifold by BoyGoFast; looking at how the engine is right now, do you suppose that would work? I thought about taking some EMT conduit and welding up my own manifold, as I am capable of some simple fabrication like that, but I'm not sure what the rules are for distance from the carb to engine. But anything besides my current manifold would probably flow better, I looked inside that one and it needs some serious porting.

The next issue I have is this - I don't like the supplied chain tensioner. Yes, its made of sturdy stuff, but aside from the fact it is not spring loaded, it looks really unprofessional, clunky, and isn't very adjustable as far as putting it inline with the chain. So I really want to use something else. I looked around and found other rigid type tensioners such as
this one and nicer ones like this one, and found some spring types like this one and some a little fancier like this one, but it seemed to me like the best route to go would be a derailer (derailleur? whatever) , so this is what I got. A derailer would spring tension it while allowing me to precisely align it with the chain. I'm probably gonna use pipe strap to mount it since I couldn't find any instructions for mounting one on the right side using the hub mount. I might additionally use one of these rigid mounts to help stabilize the chan, or possibly use it's mounting base for the derailer since it is made for tube mounting.

So, my build so far looks like this:
*Before doing any work, I had to take the rims off and get new tires, as these were the 15 year old originals and would pop off the rim due to having a stretched bead.
*This is how it looked after getting the new tires mounted and installing the drive sprocket. I managed to get it perfectly center but still wobbles a *tiny* bit from side to side cuz one of the meaty chunks of rubber has a bit missing from it.
*Here was my first problem during installation. Come on, wouldn't it be easier to make that mount larger and have an adapter to go down smaller? A lot of bikes have a larger tube in front. Anyways, thats where the pipe strap came in.
*Finally got the engine mounted.
*This is after putting the new grips on. You can see here where I didn't put on the clutch lever first. That handle was a real pain to get back off, I had a hard time getting it on in the first place! Unfortunately after getting the clutch lever back on and reinstalling the grip, that inner plastic ring broke (actually it broke earlier, but not that bad). You'd think the manufacturer would realize the rubber will expand after pressing it on.
*Here is a back view of how it looks now. Also a front view. I still havent secured any cables or wiring yet. The main thing I'm waiting on now is getting the chain fixed up. Yes, I know I'm supposed to take some links out. I'm waiting for my chain repair tool to arrive in the mail. I might also look for a half link to take additional slack out, if there are any available for that kind of chain.

Some things I have on order:

*Chain Tool
*The aforementioned derailer
*A speedometer
*A new seat with brake light
*Rear "running" light
*LED 3-watt Headlamp
*White Tire Flys

I've seen the turn signal units but they all seem dim, blink too fast, and are pretty crappy in general. Also, depending on who you get yours from, they look the same but have different internals, so some are more crappy than others. I decided I probably don't need a turn signal. The reason I got that particular seat is because of the brake light - its the only one I saw that had *only* a brake light with a *physical switch*. All the other stand alone brake lights were some kinda "smart" or "intelligent" mess, which I think wont work properly because once you're up to full speed, any kind of deceleration or road bumps could activate the inertia sensor and give people false braking, after which they'll start ignoring your brake light cuz they don't think you're really braking. I think those kind are dangerous. I'm not sure if the seat light will have a dim "running light" mode, so I got the other light to act as a "running light" at night. The way it mounts, I think it will fit nicely on my factory rear reflector mount. I got two of the headlamps to help with people's perception of how far away I am. I find it very difficult to tell how far away a motorcycle is at night with only one headlamp, especially when the dummy has his brights on all the time and you cant see his two side markers, if he had any. I got the white tire flys as a cheap "ring of fire" imitation. The most noticeable motorcycle I ever saw was a guy who had the ring of fire kit on his motorcycle. His buddy in front had all kinds of multicolor LEDs and ground FX and lights everywhere you could think of, but the guy with the ring of fire was way more noticeable, so I think those will be good for night riding. And they're not any sort of legal color like blue or green or red, so I don't think the cops will have a problem with it.

One more note about the bike so far - I haven't secured any cables or wires, so it is a bit messy looking right now. I will fix that after everything I plan to put on is installed. And yes, my kitchen is messy. I don't have any other workspace though, so it usually has stuff all around
icon_tongue.png

As soon as everything comes in I'll post another update. Please let me know what you think of it so far and if you have any suggestions for the carb!
Happy building!
icon_smile.gif

So, an update already, since I been wasting time on that other forum
icon_tongue.png

I ordered a few more things for my bike, namely:
A
tachometer to keep an eye on my engine speed;
A
seat cover to go over my new seat, since the seat itself didn't have the little indention for privates (!);
And a fully adjustable
rack (with a rack adapter to make it fit the top rail) for carrying whatever I decide needs to be carried on my trips.

I've also gotten a
few personal protection items to take care of any slow speed road rash that might occur (in case anyone overlooked it, all the colorful words are links
icon_tongue.png
). Everything is made of leather and I'm looking at a few other protection items too, like wrist guards and some kind of leather pants.

I'll post another updated picture of the bike once some more installations have been done.

hate to bust your bubble but using a propane torch your NOT going to braze NOTHING.
you can SOLDER with a propane torch.. every PLUMBER does in this country when it comes to copper water pipe. Brass brazing rod melting point is 732-Degree Fahrenheit (389-Degree Celsius)

Lead based solder melting point
Tin/Lead Melting Point
40/60 460 degrees F (230 degrees C)
50/50 418 degrees F (214 degrees C)
60/40 374 degrees F (190 degrees C)
63/37 364 degrees F (183 degrees C)
95/5 434 degrees F (224 degrees C)

just to further prove my point... take a soldering gun and try to braze with it.... then try melting the solder and see what happens

Thank you for the reference table on solder. My Acetylene torch will melt just about everything except tungsten electrodes, so I plan to try brazing first. I have a ceramic block I'm going to make into a mold. Since the melting point of steel (according to the internet) is 2750F it should be good as long as thats what the cable is made from. But I will probably need some flux paste since these brazing rods aren't coated, is there a certain kind you recommend? (I will be searching in the meantime, but I appreciate suggestions from here)

Chain Driven. I'm a fairly new member here (about 2 months & 25 posts) and every time I see your signature after reading one of your post I feel somewhat offended. I have not read all of your earlier posts because it was information request overload. A few people told you that & everyone seems to have moved on. I have read A Lot of detailed posts & I have done A LOT of searching on things I needed to find out about. And I'm a young man who's busy with a career, a family, friends, and motored biking building and riding. If I'm going to do something new on a bike I tKe to the forum & Google everything I can about this. I am turning my newest build' stop-tube into a gas tank at the very moment, and without the search feature I'd be lost.

I'm sure I'm not alone when I say this about your signature, but I'm just speaking for myself. There's just no reason to reiterate your opinion on this matter every time you post.

And finally, back to the subject. Yes, I thought I read something about soldering the cable ends on this thread a ways back so I never responded. I do it all the time, and have never had one fail. I take a very fine wire (~6") and wrap it around the cable end very tightly before fluxing & soldering. I hNd the cable so it's pointing straight down & it takes less than a minute to get it just right. If the solder end is a little out of round or too thick I use a file and/or some sandpaper to get it to the right shape/size.

Here is a technique I use to solder cables. Bicycle cables have an oil residue on them. This helps them slide better in a cable housing. Take your torch burn the cable end till it turns red. This will get the oil residue off. Then you can use a soldering iron to apply acid core solder. I've never had a cable come apart. You may need to use a fine file to smooth the solder end down some so that it slides through the cable housing.

Here is a technique I use to solder cables. Bicycle cables have an oil residue on them. This helps them slide better in a cable housing. Take your torch burn the cable end till it turns red. This will get the oil residue off. Then you can use a soldering iron to apply acid core solder. I've never had a cable come apart. You may need to use a fine file to smooth the solder end down some so that it slides through the cable housing.

and here I thought that FLUX was used to clean the cable before applying the acid core solder...
getting metal red hot makes it weaker it's called tempering metal

Flux doesn't always clean oil residue off. If you were attaching something to the end of the cable then use a degreaser to clean it then dry it good before soldering. If all you want to do is keep the cable from unfraying the burn method works quite well. It doesn't matter if the tip is a little weaker its not being used for anything anyways. To prevent overheating further down the cable one could attach vice grips to the cable. This will act like a heat sink. Often in electronics alligator clips are used as heat sinks to keep from damaging components while soldering to a board.

Flux doesn't always clean oil residue off. If you were attaching something to the end of the cable then use a degreaser to clean it then dry it good before soldering. If all you want to do is keep the cable from unfraying the burn method works quite well. It doesn't matter if the tip is a little weaker its not being used for anything anyways. To prevent overheating further down the cable one could attach vice grips to the cable. This will act like a heat sink. Often in electronics alligator clips are used as heat sinks to keep from damaging components while soldering to a board.
maybe in your world but when doing it for PAY you better know exactly what your doing or the chances of being SUED are pretty high if you screw up somebodies bike by not knowing what you are doing!!! stick to playing with your golden wrench in you back yard and leave the PROS to teach the right way.

this is where I work..
3d0026d4f0c035d509a30b41a1097b73.jpg

maybe in your world but when doing it for PAY you better know exactly what your doing or the chances of being SUED are pretty high if you screw up somebodies bike by not knowing what you are doing!!! stick to playing with your golden wrench in you back yard and leave the PROS to teach the right way.

this is where I work..
View attachment 51176

Your problem is you think you know everything when you don't. I've found in life even a beginner can teach you something new. Even though you don't like me fine. But at least have respect for the OP; stop picking fights on other people's treads. You may not agree with someone but you don't have an A-Hole either.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back