Bike engine skipping, not as powerful

I guess part throttle. I tested it just a few minutes ago. When it gets up a good speed it suddenly seems more powerful and no longer seems to be dragging or skipping. You said it controls the idle mixture, does that mean when the clutch is on or off? It's when the engine is moving the bike that the problem is. I thought idle meant it wasn't moving.
Anyway, if I do need to adjust this thing, do I need to move it up or down?

When it gets up to speed, it is the main metering jet that controls the mixture. (there is overlap from the needle jet)

You want to raise the clip one notch, this will lower the needle (note that it is slightly tapered) and that will lean the mixture a little. You may need to adjust the throttle stop screw (idle speed) after you adjust the jet needle. The idle will probably go up.

Most of these engines tend to run a bit rich at part throttle, but it shouldn't be too "slobbery rich".

Check the Intake also. You might have developed an air leak. Try a few squirts of wd-40 at the cylinder where the intake attaches and where the carb connects to the intake when the engine is running. Listen for the rpm to change. Also check the head bolts and around the base of the cylinder. If my carb comes even slightly loose when I'm riding I can tell right away.

What's the idle stop screw and adjust it how? Sorry but I'm not up on all the terms yet.

thats the small screw sticking out of the left side of the carb,beside the primer button. turn it clockwise to increase the idle speed. turn about a 1/4 turn at a time till your get your desired idle rpm's.

Back