Bike work stand idea.

Tater, I also use one of my bike hoists to work on my '46 Columbia. It's also rated to 50lbs but my Columbia weighs more like 80lbs. It handles it without any problems. What I like is that you can adjust what height the bike hangs at for whatever job you need to do. However, recently a benevolent friend gave me an older model Park bike stand, which is mounted on a 2'x2' piece of plywood. Unfortunately the bike is so heavy I have to throw sandbags or cinder blocks on the base to keep it from tipping! :LOL:

the only thing that might brake if ya ask me, is the rope. that nylon rope stretches pretty thin.... oh, i plan to take the mowers down this week, the grass is turning green again... (if it doesnt pour..)

here are some pics i took a while back. the top of the door is where the loft is. the pullies are it the top of the shed...

Attachments

• DCAM0097.JPG
    DCAM0097.JPG
    185.5 KB · Views: 260
  • DCAM0098.JPG
    DCAM0098.JPG
    182.6 KB · Views: 247
  • DCAM0099.JPG
    DCAM0099.JPG
    182.9 KB · Views: 242
  • DCAM0100.JPG
    DCAM0100.JPG
    185.1 KB · Views: 219
Last edited by a moderator:
I have a small shop area with a bike "work bench" in the center. I use a motorcycle (ATV) ramp and wheel them up onto the bench. I can walk around to both sides, and leave my tools laying underneat it on the bench. I also build mini choppers up there which are 110-150lbs. so I need something very sturdy.

Attachments

• graucho__bike_bench.jpg
    graucho__bike_bench.jpg
    191.3 KB · Views: 262
Last edited:
good idea graucho, but hot do you balance a heavy chopper, then you are about even with the wheel? just asking

good idea graucho, but hot do you balance a heavy chopper, then you are about even with the wheel? just asking

Hi Tater, I bought one of these jigs from ebay. To start, about 3/4 of the work starts on the ground, and we lift or wheel it up top for final touches so I dont have to bend over as much. The older you get you'll understand about kneeling and bending over. If your mechanical (which you are) pains from crawlin around will happen.
Someday if we have a link to minichoppers, pocketbikes, ill open up my shop secrets for viewing. For now, with respect for everyone, 99% of the time ill keep it about the bicycles. Thanks for the interest Tater.

Attachments

• mini jig.jpg
    mini jig.jpg
    66.8 KB · Views: 240
Last edited:
very cool graucho! i think you just found my solution to the grass thread!!

Back