Brakes brake pads or v brake

I will agree that the hill you have shown is a nice looking hill, but does it decend for 6 kilometers (3.7 miles).
Just to start with your original post statement along the lines of it being suicidal to ride any MB without discs period...

I am in complete agreement that a motorized bike should not ever be ridden without a front and rear brake and won't even let a repair out without them but come on, even a coaster with a front C is good enough for most dry flat conditions.

This is also the precise reason why people who cycle up the mountain (as depicted by the results from my trip down it) only travel up the road, but take their bicycle down the hill on their car
Sure I prefer Dual V's and they are fine on most small short grades even a little wet but you seem to be basing this 'you are suicidal if you don't use discs' mantra on a hill you have to go down that bike riders won't coast down motor or not.

Sure a motor adds 20 pounds or so but heck, just hold the kill button in and it acts as third brake on way down and I bet it decent slower than the bike with no motor!

My point is if you live in a frigg'n rain forest with crappy roads and 3+ mile long steep hills your brake needs are different than a guy like me living in the relatively flat and dry desert Southwest.

Here, dual V's are the best option for cost and ease of replacement and just having at least 2 brakes is pretty much good enough so just consider that before you continue to expound to the world that EVERY motorized bike on the planet is a death machine regardless of where it is operated without $500 worth of new brakes OK?

It really does just make you silly bud.
Thanks ;-}

@ grinningremlin

I would love to have engine braking, but it would only be possible if there was some method of modifying an internally geared hub (like a Shimano Nexus 8 speed or Rohloff 14 speed) to make it mechanically switchable, thereby locking and unlocking the freewheel ratcheting mechanism to enable engine braking when using a Sick Bike Parts shift kit.

Down changing through every single gear of the Rohloff 14 speed would almost be like having a Kenworth with an 18 speed road ranger. The only way it could get any more authentic is to install 4-stroke engine and find a method of installing a make shift Jake Brake.

I would pay good money (make that a small fortune) just to have the sound of a Jake Brake on my bike as i down change through 14 gears between traffic lights.

@ grinningremlin
I would love to have engine braking .... when using a Sick Bike Parts shift kit.
No such luck, with a shift kit you need to up your brake game.
I would pay good money (make that a small fortune) just to have the sound of a Jake Brake on my bike as i down change through 14 gears between traffic lights.
Hehehe, the good 'ole compression release Jake Brake.
About the best you can get with what we use is just holding your kill button in on your downhill ride but that would be cool ;-}

About the best you can get with what we use is just holding your kill button in on your downhill ride but that would be cool ;-}

:eek:

And that's a recipe for creating a direct short in the magneto coil; melting the internal wiring when hitting the kill button at higher revs.
I have only had one magneto coil fail in 50,000 kilometers (30,000 miles) of riding, but that might be because i kill the engine with the choke lever, thereby reducing stress on the coil.

I wonder how many coils fail when people hit the kill switch and bring the engine (and bike) to a stop without pulling in the clutch lever?

Back