Carby Carb Needle HELP!

I just figured that yesterday. So how long should I be running 20/1? Should I go to 32/1 then to 40?

Just thought of that silly me :eek:

augidog said:
is the carby seated all the way onto the intake? not much room for error there.

if the intake flange is even a bit off-flat it's gonna leak...same with the exhaust.

also, the jug-base gasket is critical, and when mine went out i didn't even see it until one whole section was gone. that one robbed me of a ton of performance.

I cut a new gasket and put it on it seems to help a bit more but its still in the crapper... however the intake manifold rocks a bit maybe I need to flatten it?

yes, check the flange by running a flat file across it and looking for low or high spots. keep filing until you have a clean surface.

20/1 or 24/1 for a tank or two if you are really insecure. then go to 36/1 or 40/1.

augidog said:
yes, check the flange by running a flat file across it and looking for low or high spots. keep filing until you have a clean surface.

Ok well I took my dremel to it to knock down the high spots then filed it flat. I am still having the same issues? Any ideas? And at richest of rich the plug does not look stupidly fouled.
1282_plug_1.jpg

would you refresh us on where you're at at this moment?

for sure...the carb, intake, head, jug, & exhaust gaskets are good to go?

inline fuel filter? float level correct? debris in the bowl/main jet?

electrical connections well-insulated from each other & ground?

and this is my now-experienced .02, but still only personal opinion ...because of the cheap bushings, i'm not comfortable with anything "drier" than 36:1 dino pre-mix.

ok, just saw the plug...maximum .025 gap? and align that electrode better.

IMHO, that is a little dark but you are running alot of oil.
Google plug chop and read some of the links.
Air cooled stroker plugs will run darked than air cooled 4 stoke plugs.

Lots of good info at this site. Take a look at his 4 stroke plug colors.
http://www.dansmc.com/spark_plugs/spark_plugs_catalog.html

NOTE: Be aware that stroker plugs can whisker and prevent a spark.
A whisker is a thin bit of carbon between the plug's electrodes. It is very hard to see with the nekkid eye.
Solution? When there is no spark? Run a business card between the electrodes and try again. You can not blow it out with your breath.

augi tells the truth about oil and these Chinese motors. The state of the art air/water cooled strokers can run 50 to 1...some go as far as 100 to 1 during idle when using oil injection.

This is dated info but fits these Chinese motors to a tee. Read it please!
http://www.dansmc.com/2stroke_oil.htm
He even refers to Gordon Jennings the accepted American tuning master of the stoker motor back in the '70s.

EDIT: With modern oils in these fairly crude engines, 36 to 1 would be about it for lean for any I owned.
I would run a little rich(gas) on hot days+high sustained speed too, as it will hold off detonation.

augidog said:
would you refresh us on where you're at at this moment?

Filed the manifold flat and did a new gasket out of cereal box.

augidog said:
for sure...the carb, intake, head, jug, & exhaust gaskets are good to go?

As far as I can tell all the gaskets are fine.

augidog said:
inline fuel filter? float level correct? debris in the bowl/main jet?

I just cleaned it with some carb cleaner the bowl, jet etc.

augidog said:
electrical connections well-insulated from each other & ground?

Should be quite insulated.
augidog said:
and this is my now-experienced .02, but still only personal opinion ...because of the cheap bushings, i'm not comfortable with anything "drier" than 36:1 dino pre-mix.

I am running 36:1 or somewhere around there 1.8 gallons of gas with 7oz I think it was I caculated it anyway.

augidog said:
ok, just saw the plug...maximum .025 gap? and align that electrode better.

Alrighty I will redo the gap and allign the electrode.

Ol' Pete said:
IMHO, that is a little dark but you are running alot of oil.
Google plug chop and read some of the links.
Air cooled stroker plugs will run darked than air cooled 4 stoke plugs.

Lots of good info at this site. Take a look at his 4 stroke plug colors.
http://www.dansmc.com/spark_plugs/spark_plugs_catalog.html

NOTE: Be aware that stroker plugs can whisker and prevent a spark.
A whisker is a thin bit of carbon between the plug's electrodes. It is very hard to see with the nekkid eye.
Solution? When there is no spark? Run a business card between the electrodes and try again. You can not blow it out with your breath.

Alrighty I will do this when I regap and straighten the electrode. I will be going to a much nicer plug shortly so that will be a null point about it :)

I am considering either the bosch platinums that I run in my car or the Iridium plugs one or the other.

Google plug chop.
You are not going to do any better using a high end 500k mile spark plug.
Use a basic plug of the recommended heat range and just change it often, like every 3~6 months.
:cool:

Back