Chain lube

mirman

Local time
4:57 PM
What is the best chain lube for the motor chain that doesn't get your bike all greasy?

I use silicon lube in a can. I wipe down my rear wheel (Not tire) after w/ brake cleaner. Do not use wd40 or oil or grease

Here in Omaha we use bacon grease. Gotta put our pork to good use besides pork chops.

another-oil-thread.jpg

32c5207592c121dd665d06e55f22d9ad.jpg

I do it like this...Take your new chain put it into a small plastic bucket like what ice cream comes in, and soak it in cheap 2 cycle synthetic oil like Walmart brand overnight...It will permeate the entire roller chain...Wipe off the excess oil and put it on...Works just fine, I have been doing this for years even on motorcycle chains when I use to ride them years ago...Twice a year, take the chain off, put it in the bucket and soak it over night in WD-40 to remove all the crap thats built up over six months time, remove it and wipe it down clean, and then soak it again like before in 2 cycle oil overnight.

You can add oil during those six month intervals by simply putting that same 2 cycle oil in a small plastic mustard or ketchup bottle like they use in restaurants and can be bought in Walmart and use it as an oil applicator....Even the cheap, Chinesium chains that come in the kits will last a long time...I finally just had to replace my cheap Chinese chain I have been using on two different motors after 5 years and quite a few thousand miles of use.

I do it like this...Take your new chain put it into a small plastic bucket like what ice cream comes in, and soak it in cheap 2 cycle synthetic oil like Walmart brand overnight...It will permeate the entire roller chain...Wipe off the excess oil and put it on...Works just fine, I have been doing this for years even on motorcycle chains when I use to ride them years ago...Twice a year, take the chain off, put it in the bucket and soak it over night in WD-40 to remove all the crap thats built up over six months time, remove it and wipe it down clean, and then soak it again like before tin 2 cycle oil overnight.

You can add oil during those six month intervals by simply putting that same 2 cycle oil in a small plastic mustard or ketchup like they use in restaurants and can be bought in Walmart and use it as an oil applicator....Even the cheap, Chinesium chains that come in the kits will last a long time...I finally just had to replace my cheap Chinese chain I have been using on two different motors after 5 years and quite a few thousand miles of use.
You always have the best answer for my questions. Thank you

You always have the best answer for my questions. Thank you
Contrary to "popular" belief, I don't always have the "best" answers and sometimes I am even incorrect which our members DO correct me on when found to be in error,...lol...But I do try to help others benefit from my own personal experiences to save as much foolish waste of money on expensive store bought products, chainlube just being one of these expensive products with so, so, many choices to choose from to waste money on with little value to show for the price of it...lol.

Contrary to "popular" belief, I don't always have the "best" answers and sometimes I am even incorrect which our members DO correct me on when found to be in error,...lol...But I do try to help others benefit from my own personal experiences to save as much foolish waste of money on expensive store bought products, chainlube just being one of these expensive products with so, so, many to choose from to waste money on with little value to show for the price of it...lol.
Going to Walmart this afternoon to get the oil and the WD-40

Do you use the triflow in the spray can or the drip?
I've used both, but liquid drip form is easiest to do with less mess. Same deal with the dupont chain wax - the liquid dripper is my preference. Overall, i like the wax best. Once the carrier-solvent evaporates, it's dry. So no black racers stripe on your back after the first post-lube ride... 😂
Triflow isn't bad that way at all... Barely any flinging of lube from the chain. There's no fling at all with the wax. They both use ptfe/teflon so stretch is negligible with both, ime.

Hope that helps

Back