Chain lube

Here in Omaha we use bacon grease.
As a resident of Omaha, I disagree. We use beef tallow. Bacon grease is used in Iowa, which is like Nebraska if you ordered Nebraska from Wish.

Want the ultimate non-greasy chain lubrication?

Go get yourself an old counter top fryer, or double boiler. Fill it with Paraffin Wax and then melt it.

Add some Extra fine Graphite Powder and mix well.

Take your chain, make sure it's clean. Submerge in your hot wax and graphite bath and let it sit for several minutes. Make sure to turn the chain over and move it around so that the hot liquid wax can get into all of the gaps into the rollers.

Remove and hang to cool. Once solidified, wipe off the excess wax still clinging to the outside.

Sounds silly, but it works, and it works well. Paraffin is incredibly slippery and the graphite adds an extra suspended dry lubrication property. Unlike oil and grease dirt and dust are less prone to sticking to it. It makes a great chain lubrication option for off-road bikes for that reason.

The downside to this method is, it's very involved and requires chain removal to do every time.

Forgot about parafin wax. Good stuff. Was a yoke the bacon grease post pointed at a certain member. Didn't expect a thesis as a rebuttal, well done though. Anyways regarding using parafin wax, I'm lazy.

F7FC7B3F-2540-40F6-B425-9E55323DA283__91386.1680953062.png

As a resident of Omaha, I disagree. We use beef tallow. Bacon grease is used in Iowa, which is like Nebraska if you ordered Nebraska from Wish.

Want the ultimate non-greasy chain lubrication?

Go get yourself an old counter top fryer, or double boiler. Fill it with Paraffin Wax and then melt it.

Add some Extra fine Graphite Powder and mix well.

Take your chain, make sure it's clean. Submerge in your hot wax and graphite bath and let it sit for several minutes. Make sure to turn the chain over and move it around so that the hot liquid wax can get into all of the gaps into the rollers.

Remove and hang to cool. Once solidified, wipe off the excess wax still clinging to the outside.

Sounds silly, but it works, and it works well. Paraffin is incredibly slippery and the graphite adds an extra suspended dry lubrication property. Unlike oil and grease dirt and dust are less prone to sticking to it. It makes a great chain lubrication option for off-road bikes for that reason.

The downside to this method is, it's very involved and requires chain removal to do every time.
How often must you do this? I use my bike for work and average 25 to 30 miles a day.

Forgot about parafin wax. Good stuff. Was a yoke the bacon grease post pointed at a certain member. Didn't expect a thesis as a rebuttal,
I didn't realize this constitutes a thesis.
The rest of that reply wasn't directed at you. I figured that was obvious by the fact that I was replying to the subject of the post, and not your silly joke. You seem to have trouble reading my humor. Yes, my reply to you was also a joke. It's ironic that you are accusing me of basically not getting your joke when I replied with a joke that you didn't seem to get either.

How often must you do this? I use my bike for work and average 25 to 30 miles a day.
Just depends on how much you ride and the conditions. Unless you are riding thousands and thousands of miles a year, maybe once a year? The paraffin has a decent amount of staying power since it's a semi-solid. It will slowly make its way out of the rollers as the chain heats from riding, but doesn't quite liquify as much as typical greases do. The only thing the paraffin isn't the best at is protecting the steel of the chain from corrosion, so an occasional wipe down with a light oil (machine oil or gun oil) isn't a bad idea if you ride in wet weather.

I didn't realize this constitutes a thesis.

The rest of that reply wasn't directed at you. I figured that was obvious by the fact that I was replying to the subject of the post, and not your silly joke. You seem to have trouble reading my humor. Yes, my reply to you was also a joke. It's ironic that you are accusing me of basically not getting your joke when I replied with a joke that you didn't seem to get either.
Silly joke? It was funny!

Some interesting ideas and products.
Summer weight chain saw chain oil, a half inch chip brush. Econo chain lube works great, doesn't fling off, but dust will stick to it.

Back