Clacking noise, now it won't run.

Read this link, it shows step by step how to take down a engine.

Half of the key will be in the shaft and half in the gear, the key is all that keeps the gear from spinning.

It's beyond the piston rings, the clacking noise, the engine is leaking. My petcock leaks, my carb leaks, I would rather walk away while I can. I have made this mistake way to many times working with cars. I cannot even begin to tell you how many times I thought I was saving money by buying tools and parts and in the end I would of been better off getting something new.
Exactly why I've had 6 engines. and only two running bikes at once. I just get frustrated and buy another one... The savings in fuel pays for it in the end. I wasn't working where I am now, but using my bike as my main transportation, a full tank of fuel in my truck lasted about 2 months. I have quite a commute now and don't rely on my bike as much.

All of my engines have been good ones, I disassemble every one and clean up what should be done at the factory. At the moment I have three running with two spare engines, my oldest is a Grubee gt2b 2010 model.

Damn I guess I've been lucky compared to most of you guys. Although I will say I've notcied the woodruff keys only engage the keyways on the sprocket(s) by at most 25% which to me is a big no no. I come from industrial square key world which is as close to 100% engagement as possible.

So, the seller refunded me $80 of the $106. He couldn't do $26 more because it was for shipping. I didn't order another black one because I assumed it's probably one factory that paints them. The one I had was a Ridgeyard, and I ordered a silver one that is a Ridgeyard too which I didn't know until after.

I'll be honest, I think I beat on it too hard. I didnt do an official break in. Just kind of rode it around places. I didn't full throttle it but I will say I did 5 mile trip that had about a 1 mile upwards hill. I had about a 50 yard steep hill twice. I'm wondering if this had anything to do with it.

I'm going to take care of this one much better. I was so excited that it worked that I just did too much.

I've seen so many different opinions of breaking in, what the best one?

I've seen so many different opinions of breaking in, what the best one?
I have always just ridden them as I would normally ride, making sure that I do take on some hills to build up a few heat cycles in order to seat the rings etc. to my style of riding...Anything in moderation is fine, avoid the extreme punishments and be sure to check the four head bolts on top of motor after each ride during the break-in period and then periodically thereafter because as it heats up and cools down during heat cycles, they will loosen up and need to be retorqued to 12 ft pds, (144 inch pds), to avoid head gasket leaks and lousy performance etc. etc...DO NOT OVER TIGHTEN !!!

Ps...NEVER retorque when still hot...It has to be completely cold to do this properly.

With these chinesium aluminum heads, It's not so much that the nut's are coming loose, but the aluminum is shrinking under the torqued down nuts.
As the aluminum shrinks under the nut's, washers, and lock washers, it makes it appear like it's the nuts backing off and loosening up,
So a few re torques are needed.

I have always just ridden them as I would normally ride, making sure that I do take on some hills to build up a few heat cycles in order to seat the rings etc. to my style of riding...Anything in moderation is fine, avoid the extreme punishments and be sure to check the four head bolts on top of motor after each ride during the break-in period and then periodically thereafter because as it heats up and cools down during heat cycles, they will loosen up and need to be retorqued to 12 ft pds, (144 inch pds), to avoid head gasket leaks and lousy performance etc. etc...DO NOT OVER TIGHTEN !!!

Ps...NEVER retorque when still hot...It has to be completely cold to do this properly.

With these chinesium aluminum heads, It's not so much that the nut's are coming loose, but the aluminum is shrinking under the torqued down nuts.
As the aluminum shrinks under the nut's, washers, and lock washers, it makes it appear like it's the nuts backing off and loosening up,
So a few re torques are needed.
Thanks for the information, seriously, thank you.

I have a torque wrench. I'm hesitant to use it because I was torquing the rear sprocket bolts to spec and snapped one.

Thanks for the information, seriously, thank you.

I have a torque wrench. I'm hesitant to use it because I was torquing the rear sprocket bolts to spec and snapped one.
Here is the actual correct proceedure for installing the rear sprocket with rag joints to spoked wheels.

Installing the Rear Sprocket:

Installing the Rear Sprocket is the first task required because the alignment between the Rear Sprocket
and the Motor is key to where the motor needs to sit in the frame and whether or not the Rear Wheel
needs to be offset. Before fitting the Rear Sprocket, make sure the Spokes are in good condition and are
tight, and that the Wheel runs true. The extra weight of the motor on the bike and the power produced,
puts extra stress on the wheel so it needs to be in top condition. The motor weighs roughly the same as
the bike, so you are effectively doubling the total mass! Your local Bike Shop can true the Wheel for you
or there are some good ‘HowTo’ articles available on the Web. Also, is the rear tyre up to the task?

1. Find the two Rear Sprocket rubber packing pieces. Cut only one of
them between the drilled holes, as shown image right.

2. Place the cut packing piece inside the spokes.

3. Place the other packing piece on the outside of the spokes.

4. Place the metal support segments against the rubber inside the wheel
and the sprocket on the outside, with the teeth offset inwards. That is,
the step on the teeth is towards the wheel spokes. Overlap the split
of the inner rubber with one of the plates (see images below).

NOTE: Some bikes with large tyres may need to be Sprocket reversed.
5. Push the nine bolts through the sprocket, outer rubber, the inner rubber and finally the support pieces.

6. Place washers and nuts on the bolts and tighten them so
the assembly is loosely held together with light pressure
on the spokes. All nuts need to have the same amount of
thread protruding.

7. Align sprocket and center hub so the gap is even all
round. Use a block of wood and a hammer against the
teeth to tap the sprocket into position, if necessary.
(Image right shows misaligned sprocket).

8. Tighten the nuts and bolts 2 full turns in a criss–cross or
star pattern and check the hub alignment again and
adjust if necessary Tighten the nuts and bolts another
full turn moving in a star fashion across the sprocket.

9. Repeat this process twice more, checking the alignment
as you go. The nuts should now be tight enough to hold
the sprocket firmly against the spokes but have some
flexing in the drive direction.

10. Spin the wheel and check that the sprocket runs true. Run out of more than 1.5mm may cause the chain to bind
and even jam or jump off the sprocket. Correct any side-to-side wobble by tightening the nuts where the
sprocket is further from the spokes to pull the sprocket back into alignment, and slacken the nuts on the
opposite side a fraction, if necessary. If there is a gap between the two rubbers, tighten all the nuts evenly,
until the rubbers are just touching. NOTE: Do not over tighten the nuts, the rubbers give some degree of
shock absorption, so If over-tight this will not happen. If there is still some run-out, use a large shifting
spanner to bend the section of sprocket giving trouble. You do not need to use much force to do this,

11. Place the wheel in the bike frame and install it as indicated in the bicycle instruction manual. At this time leave
the axle retaining nuts finger tight, they will be tightened later when the drive chain alignment is set. Check the
wheel and sprocket run true and adjust if necessary. Make any further adjustments as necessary.

Screenshot_2022-07-22_09-42-00.png
Screenshot_2022-07-22_09-42-48.png

Back