TopDeadCenter Name that tick

Jayraye39

Local time
7:18 AM
My spark plug threads are no more. plug just pops out the chamber. Took the head off and tossed it. While doing so I noticed a tick noise as soon as the piston hits TDC. Sounds alot like the noise a piston makes when its tinging the head. However their is no head. Is this a normal noise? im not sure if it was their before.

The rings are not snagging, the piston is not toping the cylinder. It
doesnt sound like a crank needle bearing. Could it possibly be ring flutter? Should I change them?

Is this a normal noise?
Not unless you also consider this "tick" to be normal too...lol.

ivxdpmo.gif

My spark plug threads are no more. plug just pops out the chamber. Took the head off and tossed it. While doing so I noticed a tick noise as soon as the piston hits TDC. Sounds alot like the noise a piston makes when its tinging the head. However their is no head. Is this a normal noise? im not sure if it was their before.

The rings are not snagging, the piston is not toping the cylinder. It
doesnt sound like a crank needle bearing. Could it possibly be ring flutter? Should I change them?

Head isn't trash, put in a S/P thread insert
If ya put the head back on the tic noise will probably go away IMO normal amplified noises
With compression all the moving parts get just that little bit tighter

If your worried about the noise, just to be on the safe side, tear the engine down and check everything :LOL:

n
Head isn't trash, put in a S/P thread insert
If ya put the head back on the tic noise will probably go away IMO normal amplified noises
With compression all the moving parts get just that little bit tighter

If your worried about the noise, just to be on the safe side, tear the engine down and check everything :LOL:
Thought about helicoils or a cert but ordered a puch maxi instead.
Ahh and their is no more tear downs for me. the next time I do my exhaust flange will seperat in two pieces. right down the middle of a thread hole. Gonna run her till she spits or coughs.

If I had to guess it would be 1 of 2 things.

1. The piston is rocking in the bore and you just hear it, aka piston slap.

2. Jug may be slightly lifting or rocking and tapping against the studs since it is not clamped down.
must be piston slap cause i can still hear it with the head bolted on

Run it until it breaks is the best advice I have at this time.
lmao well it just broke. Put on a stock head that I modified and well one of the jug threads chipped off in the motor. They bored it so close to the endge of the case that it just chipped off. Thought I was going for a ride just putting on the head but nope. Highly ticked off.

But I have an extra case. Im going to swap out all the crap inside one to the other. However since im starting with a complete rebuild. I decided to stuff my case and balance my crank. thoes were the only 2 mods the other bottom end did not have. hopefully this will give me faster results..

As for my chipped exhaust flang im going to cut the cooling finn that runs along side and to the back of the flang. Im going to use a tad longer bolt. when i bolt the exhaust up i will fasten a nut to the extra bolt distance that comes out the back of the flang. this should smash it tight and keep ot from backing out.

20231201_225052.jpg
20231201_225013.jpg
20231201_225001.jpg
20231201_225136.jpg

lmao well it just broke. Put on a stock head that I modified and well one of the jug threads chipped off in the motor. They bored it so close to the endge of the case that it just chipped off. Thought I was going for a ride just putting on the head but nope. Highly ticked off.

But I have an extra case. Im going to swap out all the crap inside one to the other. However since im starting with a complete rebuild. I decided to stuff my case and balance my crank. thoes were the only 2 mods the other bottom end did not have. hopefully this will give me faster results..

As for my chipped exhaust flang im going to cut the cooling finn that runs along side and to the back of the flang. Im going to use a tad longer bolt. when i bolt the exhaust up i will fasten a nut to the extra bolt distance that comes out the back of the flang. this should smash it tight and keep ot from backing out.

View attachment 203959View attachment 203960View attachment 203961View attachment 203965
I'm guessing airsoft right?

Back