Clutch is REALLY hard to pull

P

Patch

so my clutch is really hard to pull and once it is in...I can barely spin the drive sprocket (but thats with my hands). Is this unusual? Can I adjust this?

There is a small kink in the cable if that matters~~ Haven't run it yet! but thats coming- thanks fellas

srdavo

yes, the small kink in the clutch cable is prolly the culprit. get a new brake cable to replace it....the cable has to be routed loosely. The cable can be adjusted. and adjusted again...after it stretches & the cable housing compresses.

G

gone_fishin

and, if you're able to turn the drive sprocket by hand, i'd guess it'll roll very easliy...imo you're getting a fairly good "dis-engagement" for an intitial adjustment...

G

Try to straighten it as best as you can and lube it up with light grease or motor oil....forget about the WD-40.

Also, ditch the two springs that come with the kit, they aren't of much use.

G

gone_fishin

...the larger "spring" is merely heat (and friction) insulation for the cable-housing where it runs alongside the cylinder, and should be used.

opinions vary on whether the small spring helps, i use it, others don't.

G

Thanks for that augi....I had no idea, being that I can read Chinese to English very well. :)

I may put it on just for the "shiny factor".

Q

Q-killer

To really improve how the clutch cable works, you can remove it, or prior to installation remove the cable halfway from the housing then put a straw conneted to a can of white lithium grease in the open end and give it a blast. Push the cable back through and wipe off the excess, it'll work very smoothly thereafter.

S

SlicerDicer

make sure it pulls smoothly trust me.. I was 8 miles from home when I busted the ball off the clutch cable that connects to the handle... yeah unable to cluch was horrid... I had a spare cable that was nice though.

O

OldPete

Aside from lubing the cable...both barrels at the ends of the cable need one drop of oil inorder to pivot w/o flexing the cable much or they will flex the cable until it breaks as stated above.