Clutch noise

mirman

Local time
8:54 PM
I got a new engine from Amazon. It is running great but the clutch is making a noise that sounds like a bearing going bad. The clutch is working great but making a sound like a bearing is bad. Any ideas what that might be?

Put a dap of grease on the bevel gear and clutch gear and see if it helps

Nope

Hang on I'll try and find a pic for ya

Unless another member chimes in while I'm away and shows ya

It's under the side cover
DSCF1768.JPG

Just a fingernail amount of grease, Any general purpose grease will do

Most prefer a grease from Lucas, "Red-n-Tacky" it sticks on better with less fling off and it's has special high pressure additives

Also make sure to put a dap of grease on each end of the bucking bar that pushes that ball bearing as well.

When putting the bar back into the hole be sure to take notice that one end is slightly concaved on one end to match the spherical shape of the bearing...That is the end you insert so it touchs that ball bearing.

Grease those gears in the pic... also the parts that fell out on you, put dabs if not dollops of grease on those as well.

There will always be a noise from those gears. It's the nature of the beast. Also, it depends on the quality of your clutch disk. Super loose will make more noise vs home rebuilt ones vs stock etc. I rebuilt mine with SS ball bearings and lots of sanding / milling and it's a lot less noisy than it used to be, but that's not an option for everyone.

Grease those gears in the pic... also the parts that fell out on you, put dabs if not dollops of grease on those as well.

There will always be a noise from those gears. It's the nature of the beast. Also, it depends on the quality of your clutch disk. Super loose will make more noise vs home rebuilt ones vs stock etc. I rebuilt mine with SS ball bearings and lots of sanding / milling and it's a lot less noisy than it used to be, but that's not an option for everyone.
Thank you. I will grease it today

Greased all and still making squeaky noise. I didn't pull the round ball out and put any grease on that but I put quite a bit of grease on that end of the pin. Should I have pulled the the round ball and greased it also?

Back