Clutch clutch problem

bigtrucker2007

Local time
7:40 AM
need help with clutch

I can not find the right settings for me clutch on my HT motor. It seems like I can ether get it to grab or release but never both is the right proportions. can come one help me

Try these adjustments.

Adjusting the clutch cable:
1. Loosen the lock screw in the brass cable end until the cable can slide through it. Do not remove the brass cable end from the cable.
2. While keeping the brass cable end in the cable hole on the tip of the clutch release arm , grab a hold of the end of the cable with pliers and pull the cable through the brass cable end until the cable is tight.
3. Swing the release arm (with the brass cable end still in the tip of it) inwards towards the carburetor until it stops swinging. Do not forget to keep pulling the cable through the brass cable end as you are doing this.
4. While holding the cable relatively tight and keeping the brass cable end in hole at the tip of the release arm, and the release arm rotated fully towards the carburetor, tighten the lock screw in the brass end.
The cable strand between the cable housing stop on the top of the engine case and the release arm should almost be in a straight line now.
You should barely be able to wiggle it. It should not be as tight as a piano wire though. About 1/32" freeplay.
As the inner cable stretches over time, you can make small adjustments with the threaded adjusters both on the hand lever and the cable housing stop on the engine.

Adjusting the clutch:
1. Adjust clutch cable so there is only a little bit of slack, about 1/32" in the inner wire when the hand lever is released all the way out.
2. Remove gear case cover from right side of engine.
3. Remove lock screw from clutch outer plate. It's the little screw that fits into the notches on the edge of the center nut (called a flower nut).
4. Squeeze in clutch hand lever until it touches the hand grip. Hold it in with the lock button or some tape or a piece of wire, zip-ty, ect.
5. While pushing in on the outer clutch plate with one hand, tighten the flower nut until snug, just using your fingertips. Do not use pliers, ect.
6. Unscrew flower nut 1/2 to 1 turn out, aligning a notch on the flower nut with the hole in the outer clutch plate that the lock screw goes into.
7. Install lock screw but don't tighten it just yet.
8. Remove tape or wire from hand lever and let it release all the way out.
9. Tighten lock screw for flower nut.
10. Adjust clutch cable if necessary to give just a little free play to the inner cable when the hand lever is all the way out. You should be able to wiggle the clutch release arm a little.
11. Install gear case cover and test ride. Every clutch is a little different.
You may have to fine tune the adjustment of the flower nut by a few notches.

Last edited:
my clutch (66 c.c. 2 stroke) slipped from the time my engine was brand new. i tried every adjustment possible...the cable, the flower nut, new clutch pads, and i messed with it quite a few times. the problem that i found with my clutch was that the flower nut was bottoming out too soon and not allowing the pressure plate to seat against the clutch pads with enough force to make the clutch fully engage (with the flower nut as tight as it could be)
so, i ground about 1/8" off the end of the flower nut, and filed off the small lip that seats the flower nut against the pressure plate. this allows the pressure plate to go into the clutch pads more and it made a HUGE difference. now i have more adjustablity, the clutch no longer slips, and it grabs better than it ever has.

Im havin a problem with the clutch on my 66cc ht engine. It is starting to slip even when fully engaged. so i look the clutch apart and found my shoes were bad. First of all once i get my new shoes how to I go by reseting the clutch. second how do I wear the shoes in, or dont i have to

Do not worry about breaking in the new pads/ shoes.
Here's how to adjust the clutch:

1. Adjust clutch cable so there is only a little bit of slack, about 1/32", in the inner wire when the hand lever is released all the way out.
2. Remove gear case cover from right side of engine.
3. Remove lock screw from clutch outer plate. It's the little screw that fits into the notches on the edge of the center nut (called a flower nut).
4. Squeeze in clutch hand lever until it touches the hand grip. Hold it in with the lock button or some tape or a piece of wire, zip-ty, ect.
5. While pushing in on the outer clutch plate with one hand, tighten the flower nut until snug, just using your fingertips. Do not use pliers, ect.
6. Unscrew flower nut 1/2 to 1 turn out, aligning a notch on the flower nut with the hole in the outer clutch plate that the lock screw goes into.
7. Install lock screw but don't tighten it just yet.
8. Remove tape or wire from hand lever and let it release all the way out.
9. Tighten lock screw for flower nut.
10. Adjust clutch cable if necessary to give just a little free play to the inner cable when the hand lever is all the way out. You should be able to wiggle the clutch release arm a little.
11. Install gear case cover and test ride. Every clutch is a little different.
You may have to fine tune the adjustment of the flower nut by a few notches.

Back