Cool idea (my current bike project)

Starting to think I should have started with the ATX instead, good fork front and rear disc only thing I would have to do is swap the 27.5 wheel for a 26”. I could even use my 203mm disc on it because it has the right type mount as my adapter. Walmart is laughing right now. Sigh but I have a general idea what I want the bike to look like.

I may as well just make a checklist of what I need and see if the bike guy can do it. Knowing me I’ll buy a few things and never mess with it again.

I got a sweet rim for my rear but I couldn't get 13g nipples in and the eyes had built in washers needed drilled, but when I did 2 of them they looked chewed up n no way was it goin on the cruiser. good thing I bought 2, but had to get another set of spokes.
hell those downhillers are running 14g 3 cross and they jump off 6' cliffs to flat. youll be fine unless you're running skinny rubber

I have a tool that’s for tightening the spokes that came with the parts. Don’t like the tires very much very plasticky. Gonna see if I can find road tires that aren’t too skinny.

sure, with 2 3/8 or 2.5" tires or bigger, you get a whole lot of cushioning. a belt drive sheeve absorbs little bit too compared to a chain so spokes don;t have so much strain. but nothing can protect from curbs at 30mph or deep pothole. I seem to find every one driving to work lol.
look for urban cruiser tires. lot's of choices for 26", less for other sizes. "road bike" widths often are narrow bcs thats what 700c bikes are. heck of a time finding 42mm and they costed same as my car tires!

Stock wheel rotor comparison. I would feel bad putting this shimano disc on a Walmart grade wheel. it’s mixing Japan with China. I’d rather have wheels with Japan or Taiwan made components at this point. I want a bike I can be proud of if people see me on it. I might buy a few things but not much until I am going to find a new job.

Last edited:
sure, with 2 3/8 or 2.5" tires or bigger, you get a whole lot of cushioning. a belt drive sheeve absorbs little bit too compared to a chain so spokes don;t have so much strain. but nothing can protect from curbs at 30mph or deep pothole. I seem to find every one driving to work lol.
look for urban cruiser tires. lot's of choices for 26", less for other sizes. "road bike" widths often are narrow bcs thats what 700c bikes are. heck of a time finding 42mm and they costed same as my car tires!
26” x2.125 is the widest we recommend” That’s what GEBE says about rear tire.

Well like I said probably only going to keep the frame, bars and pedal stuff. Appreciate the help with the wheels. I’ll figure something out.

Back