CR machine "Fred" Head VS Bicycle Motor Works HI Comp Head

Evan Frucht

Local time
2:25 AM
Any opinion on the which head is the best quality? Or which one you prefer? I'm debating which one to get. I want the best quality machining and hear many good things about the CR Fred Head but I also prefer the fully rounded look of the B.M.W head over the flat sided design of the CR Machine head. Both are made in USA and it's hard to tell from the pictures which one has nicer machining. Also is one taller than the other ? Thanks for any input

Any opinion on the which head is the best quality? Or which one you prefer? I'm debating which one to get. I want the best quality machining and hear many good things about the CR Fred Head but I also prefer the fully rounded look of the B.M.W head over the flat sided design of the CR Machine head. Both are made in USA and it's hard to tell from the pictures which one has nicer machining. Also is one taller than the other ? Thanks for any input
Only the Fred head from CRMachine is made in the states.The round head at B.M.V is a Chinese made knock off of Freds head. The same head can be found at other venders cheaper such as MZ Maimi and anodized in gold,red,green and blue sometimes black ones are also available, There is a slight chamber design difference between the two with Freds being the better of the two and you can pick the cc volume with his,The round head has good chamber volume with older ones being around 8cc and the newest ones are around 6cc,The height of each are simular and the finish is also, There are both made the same way Fred's may have better quality materail but if both were polished I dont think you could see any difference.

Fred lowered his price to be very competitive with the cheating competition..Fred head all the way for me when it's time..Supporting the real thing may bring more to the table for us in the future.

Only the Fred head from CRMachine is made in the states.The round head at B.M.V is a Chinese made knock off of Freds head. The same head can be found at other venders cheaper such as MZ Maimi and anodized in gold,red,green and blue sometimes black ones are also available, There is a slight chamber design difference between the two with Freds being the better of the two and you can pick the cc volume with his,The round head has good chamber volume with older ones being around 8cc and the newest ones are around 6cc,The height of each are simular and the finish is also, There are both made the same way Fred's may have better quality materail but if both were polished I dont think you could see any difference.
Your wrong about the head being made in China, he orders the blanks from off-shore and machines them only a few miles from where I live in Pennsylvania, USA. The only cheap thing about it is he's not paying through the nose for rounded slabs of billet aluminum made in the USA.

Far as quality goes its as on par with Fred's design, aesthetics wise I think BMW head looks better.

I may be wrong but when I look at the head compared to one I have from MZ and one I have from Gas Bike they are identical in every way and not the 6cc he claims and the material is the same in all three.This is B.M.W's write up for the product and it leads one to think he used American Aluminum and was desinged and produced by them in Allen Town?Well I know for a FACT that that head has been around longer than B.M.W.So as with many of the venders out there their claims dont mean s**t and are taken as marketing hype by me.Now as I was writing this I looked them up and this is where phone calls and orders go the company it's a house no way is that for real.The parent company Gutenmarkt.Inc
cbk

I may be wrong but when I look at the head compared to one I have from MZ and one I have from Gas Bike they are identical in every way and not the 6cc he claims and the material is the same in all three.This is B.M.W's write up for the product and it leads one to think he used American Aluminum and was desinged and produced by them in Allen Town?Well I know for a FACT that that head has been around longer than B.M.W.So as with many of the venders out there their claims dont mean sh*t and are taken as marketing hype by me.Now as I was writing this I looked them up and this is where phone calls and orders go the company it's a house no way is that for real.The parent company Gutenmarkt.Inc
cbk
Gutenmarkt, a company owned by his wife.

A picture of his home, which is not an unusual place for people who work from home to dictate as also their company address.

Probably doesn't mill it in his home in Bethlehem, though there are plenty of mills in Bethlehem, and here in Allentown, and surrounding cities

Not sure how he lead anyone to believe he's using American aluminum, though I must say from my understanding of materials aluminum is still aluminum even in a galaxy far away known as China, and the alloys are pretty well established, though still a fair chance of it being crappier from China but I think if he discovered s**tty batches he'd of started ordering elsewhere.

I'll agree the 6cc is not the same as his stated 7 or 8 but that's basically the only discrepancy he's got going on with his product.

This is the product decription sure seems like he's implying that it's all American
6.0cc Head + 2 Solid Copper Head Gaskets Combo

Don’t settle for cheaper Chinese imitations being sold by others. Those heads may “look” similar to mine, but that’s where the similarities end. Other heads are made from cheap, Chinese JUNK Aluminum without any standards for measurement. Detonation and uneven combustion are all they have to offer you. Cheap imitations will make your engine run slower and/or cause damage.

Designed and Manufactured with pride in Allentown, PA – U.S.A.

Engineered for use on ALL 66/80cc 2-stroke bicycle engines with 8mm studs. From stock to highly modified, these heads offer TRUE bolt-on performance for any engine! The aggressive and original design of our combustion chamber promises to deliver quick, even combustion of fuel when you need it. And our head offers more surface area than other heads on the market. More surface area = more cooling!

The smooth retro look doesn’t hurt anything either.

The head has a versatile 6cc volume compression chamber which works great with regular gas from the pump. Only the most advanced race engines that are heavily modified with bigger carburetors and super-high flow exhausts would need race fuel with this head.

Deck height of zero to .03″ for maximum compression. NOTE: GT-5 engines have a higher deck hight than most others. You will need to bring the deck height down to fully appreciate added power.

Please note, there are 2 different pitches on 8mm head stud threads. For this reason we do not include new studs which may or may not fit your engine. For best results, use your original head nuts.
Now dont get me wrong it's a good product by all means but to farm it out makes no sence to me the cost per peice in a min order batch would be close to what he sells them for and then whats the point when others sell them 20 bucks cheaper.And small companies cant afford to tie up funds to get the larger batch discounts it just does not add up.

This is the product decription sure seems like he's implying that it's all American
6.0cc Head + 2 Solid Copper Head Gaskets Combo

Don’t settle for cheaper Chinese imitations being sold by others. Those heads may “look” similar to mine, but that’s where the similarities end. Other heads are made from cheap, Chinese JUNK Aluminum without any standards for measurement. Detonation and uneven combustion are all they have to offer you. Cheap imitations will make your engine run slower and/or cause damage.

Designed and Manufactured with pride in Allentown, PA – U.S.A.

Engineered for use on ALL 66/80cc 2-stroke bicycle engines with 8mm studs. From stock to highly modified, these heads offer TRUE bolt-on performance for any engine! The aggressive and original design of our combustion chamber promises to deliver quick, even combustion of fuel when you need it. And our head offers more surface area than other heads on the market. More surface area = more cooling!

The smooth retro look doesn’t hurt anything either.

The head has a versatile 6cc volume compression chamber which works great with regular gas from the pump. Only the most advanced race engines that are heavily modified with bigger carburetors and super-high flow exhausts would need race fuel with this head.

Deck height of zero to .03″ for maximum compression. NOTE: GT-5 engines have a higher deck hight than most others. You will need to bring the deck height down to fully appreciate added power.

Please note, there are 2 different pitches on 8mm head stud threads. For this reason we do not include new studs which may or may not fit your engine. For best results, use your original head nuts.
Now dont get me wrong it's a good product by all means but to farm it out makes no sence to me the cost per peice in a min order batch would be close to what he sells them for and then whats the point when others sell them 20 bucks cheaper.And small companies cant afford to tie up funds to get the larger batch discounts it just does not add up.
Junk aluminum is obviously cursing out at the stock pot metal you find in the everyday stock head.

You assumed he ordered a minimal order batch, and you also assumed the prices of them, I would tread carefully on both terms especially on pricing of decently priced chinese products of all things.

As far as small companies go he does a relatively large amount of business, and to tie up funds also assumes he's ordering larger than his pocketbook allows, happens though that motorized bicycle parts have a pretty good turnaround time period, especially in a growing market.

Because they as far larger companies can get their prices lower than his also doesn't mean anything, actually because they are likely not machining parts in the United States it falls exactly in line with what happens when you outsource production to another country, IT GETS CHEAPER!!

What was you're point again I seem to be missing it entirely.

I got one from Motor Bicycle Works...a 6cc but he said in his ebay ad that he got them from gasbike.net and that he "cleaned it up". When I got it a few of the fins were very sharp but he did file most of them down some, the ones from gasbike are like razor blades. I used a file on a couple of the fins to shave them down a little more, other than that, I haven't noticed any differences from the genuine Fredhead.

Back