Disk Brakes?

WouldBeBiker

Local time
5:16 AM
Just bought a rear mag wheel from CDHpower to replace my walmart wheel that has a busted spoke and is starting to be not so true. What all would I need to get a disk brake set up going for that? Currently just using the rim brake that came with the bike but it's broken for a while. Would really like to have two brakes now that there's an engine on it.

Here is a full kit minus the mount for the caliper. I suggest you make one like @DAMIEN1307. It will be much more purpose built if you make it your self

RUJOI Bike Disc Brake Kit, Aluminum Front and Rear Caliper, Full Aluminum Alloy Bicycle Brake Lever, 160mm Rotor, Mechanic Tool-Free Pad Adjuster for Road Bike, Mountain Bike https://a.co/d/6OEF3ZP

Links to Amazon may include affiliate code. If you click on an Amazon link and make a purchase, this forum may earn a small commission.
Just bought a rear mag wheel from CDHpower to replace my walmart wheel that has a busted spoke and is starting to be not so true. What all would I need to get a disk brake set up going for that? Currently just using the rim brake that came with the bike but it's broken for a while. Would really like to have two brakes now that there's an engine on it.
That depends on what size your rear sprocket is...That determines the size of the disk rotor you will need so the caliper and chain and sprocket do not come into contact with each other...That would also bring up the question of whether your frame was built as disk brake compatible or not, as well as what parts you would need to adapt disk brakes to your bike and if there is something off the rack you can buy to do this or if you have the mechanical abilities to fabricate your own as I did.

Fabricated Rear Caliper Adaptor IMG_0347.jpg

Another view of rear caliper adaptor.IMG_0350.jpg

Notice how very little space I had to work with on my bike...I am using a 36 tooth sproket with a 203mm disk rotor...I can just barely slide a matchbook cover in between the caliper and the chain, thats all the clearance I have with my setup.

DSCN0346.JPG

DSCN0380.JPG

Here is a full kit minus the mount for the caliper. I suggest you make one like @DAMIEN1307. It will be much more purpose built if you make it your self

RUJOI Bike Disc Brake Kit, Aluminum Front and Rear Caliper, Full Aluminum Alloy Bicycle Brake Lever, 160mm Rotor, Mechanic Tool-Free Pad Adjuster for Road Bike, Mountain Bike https://a.co/d/6OEF3ZP
The only problem you have with ordering that kit is both disk rotors are 160mm disks...That won't work in the rear due to sprocket clearance issues...I needed a 203mm disk rotor which I have ordered separately.

Links to Amazon may include affiliate code. If you click on an Amazon link and make a purchase, this forum may earn a small commission.
The only problem you have with ordering that kit is both disk rotors are 160mm disks...That won't work in the rear due to sprocket clearance issues...I needed a 203mm disk rotor which they were ordered separately.
Yeah, I forgot you needed a larger disc rotor 😆

This is why we keep ya around here 😆

Back