dual freewheel front sprocket system

Thank you jdcburg!
What you have made is exactly what I have been contemplating recently. I have worked it out in my head, but you have made it, and shown exactly what is needed and where to get the necessary parts. You are awesome!
Again, I thank you.

Thank you Josh and GN. I look forward to seeing the images of your builds as they progress and also to hearing about various problems and the work-arounds you develop for them. We just got another coating of the white stuff and more is predicted for the weekend but riding season is coming and I'll be doing more testing and tweaking. One issue with this system is chain alignment - the motor sprocket freewheel pushes everything to the right. As you saw in the video I put an upright post near where the drive chain goes onto the front sprocket. I have since put a roller on that to reduce noise and friction but the post "gives" a little on hard acceleration in 1st gear and the chain has jumped the sprocket a few times. It's not a problem in the higher gears. I have to attach the post more securely or make it more rigid but the determining best fix is going to require road testing. - jd

ps - Jim at SBP (Ghost0 here) is a great resource for questions regarding their parts and fitting things, etc

Last edited:
It will be a while 'till I post anything about a new build of mine.
I plan on doing a Q-Matic with a jackshaft setup. That will take $$$, and I received notice yesterday that the shop I work at will be closing it's doors forever next week.
I am contracted, so to collect on un-employment I would have to pay myself.

Thanks

JD,

Thanks for posting and explaining your bottom bracket free wheel. I've been thinking about motorizing a recumbent, and like the underseat engine design with chain drive to the bottom bracket. You've sure cleared up a lot of my questions.
Thanks again,
roofman6

Back