Electric (and gas) Bicycle Bill advances in Illinois!

this is the best news! I can't believe I didn't see this thread earlier. I stopped looking in here after they essentially changed the law last year to define anything as motorized requiring a title and m-class license. I thought for sure that my bike was going to be useless and that I'd get it taken away if I tried to ride, so I never put it together. There's no way they would have titled my beach cruiser with a weed whacker motor.

Looks like I can finally slap that GXH50 onto my bike and ride that thing!

Time to get to work.

Last edited:
Legal to ride

FYI, I went to the Downers Grove Classic car show two weeks ago. There were at least 10 motorized bicycles (mostly 2 stoke China motors). Talked to a few of the owners. They said police there don't bother them on their bikes. I got my motor assisted bike built and have been riding it around Lemont,Il (a few miles south of Downers Grove) without incident. But then I haven't come across a cop yet. I plan on going to the Lemont Classic car show this Wednesday if it doesn't rain. More motorized bicycles are coming out. I still wonder if this is all legal. Anyone keeping up with the bill in Springfield? Has Quinn signed it yet?

C Crawler

I have a suspended drivers license

Quick Question. As in the title I have a suspended drivers license and I live in Joliet Illinois. This happened because I missed a court date for getting pulled over in company vehicle and not have proof of insurance. Anyway to the point I work in the middle of no where with no access by public transport and I am trying to find out with absolute certainty if I can buy and operate either a gas powered or electric powered scooter legally without an Illinois drivers license registration or insurance. If anyone could please help me with this, and possibly post a link to the laws regarding this in detail it would be greatly appreciated cause this cop is there every morning. He is a nice guy but he does have a job to do and I would really like not to be arrested.

Check out a recent post in the Laws & Legislation section of motorbicycling.com of a situation in Decatur, IL. The appeal court ruling on this unfortunate event is available in pdf format. The 1 horsepower limit of a low speed gas bicycle was among the issues. The bike had a 48 cc motor.

The post presented to me the possibility of being 1 hp compliant on a 48-66 cc China girl with the use of a adjustable by increment needle valve installed on the gas line. The use of a fuel limiter on a China girl could bring the Happy Time engine to a new level of performance !

Back