Engine oil problems!

tythebuilder

Local time
10:10 AM
Hi guys, I bought a this chines 2 stroke engine about 2 weeks ago and ever since has been giving me really bad millage. I look back at the first time a put gas in it and I believe I put way to much. yesterday after coming back from a 2 minute ride I noticed there was black oil around the exhaust area so today I took it apart and noticed there was a good amount of oil in the exhaust. After taking that exhaust out i noticed the exhaust channel where it leads to the piston was all black and had oil. Then I took of the air filter cap and saw there was some gas at the bottom of the filter so I took the filter off and put my bike back in the garage. I took pictures of all the problems so you guys can get a better understanding what I am saying.

And is it okay to have the HT muffler mounted like that with no extra support.

Attachments

• CAM_0002.jpg
    CAM_0002.jpg
    64.2 KB · Views: 286
  • CAM_0013.jpg
    CAM_0013.jpg
    53.4 KB · Views: 280
  • CAM_0015.jpg
    CAM_0015.jpg
    85.3 KB · Views: 295
  • CAM_0006.jpg
    CAM_0006.jpg
    94.9 KB · Views: 298
Last edited:
An oily residue around the exhaust port is normal if you have even the smallest of exhaust leaks. A relatively dry yet oily residue inside the exhaust port is normal too. Excessive oil in the air filter element is very common on a 2-stroke engine that does not have a reed valve in the intake tract (your engine).
A heavy oil/ gas ratio will not really damage the engine, just make things messy faster and make the spark plug work harder to keep itself clean and cause carbon build up inside the engine to build up faster.
An excessively rich air/ fuel ratio can also create all of the above. What color is the business end of the spark plug in your engine?

The spark plug is black but seems to be working. Can a fuel ratio of to much oil cause bad MPG?
How can I clean the air filter and do I need to clean the muffler because there was allot of oil in it, I mean its not full of it but when I took the bolts out that where holding it on, one was covered in oil. How do you go about cleaning a stock muffler. Thanks

Last edited:
cough cough, ahem....

throw it on the fire...

the exhaust, that is.

dont get it tooooooo hot and the chrome wont burn off... but all that nasty oily goo inside will.

a bit of oil residue is nothing...my things black with about a 2mm layer of dust n oil n just general crud :)

but the carb always needs a good tweaking and in your case, tending toward leaner, ie...smaller jet.

Your question has been brought up repeatedly ad nauseam on this and other forums. You may wish to use the search function. What is best is an individual preference and there are many opinions to sort through.

If your running at WOT most of the time its better to have more oil in your mix. So keep your mix at 25:1 or even 30:1 with a good synthetic oil, something highend.

As has been stated above, a 2-stroke (port-scavenged) engine, (no reed valve), will blow a little air/fuel mix back through the carb.
Also, it's normal in a 2-stroke for the exhaust to be black and oily.
On the fuel/oil mix, my recommendation is to follow manufacturers instructions. They probably know what they're talking about.
The black spark plug indicates a rich air/fuel mixture. Once that has been sorted out, the mixture will burn more thoroughly, leaving much less oily residue.
It's best to fit a strap or other support to the exhaust and not a good idea to hang it from the flange studs.

Finally, you called your engine a 'HT'. The one in the pics isn't a Happy Time engine.
A Happy Time looks like this:-
HT Engine.JPG

he never said it was a HT... just mentioned a HT exhaust.

no. dont put one on. unless you do have a brace mount whatever somehwere. youll break the exhaust port on what you have there. very light.

and the stud spacing is slightly different.

a reed valve 49cc 2 stroke. like the lil quad bikes etc....

the reeds are @#$%$# on them. the carbs are $#^% on them...

fix those two issues and theyll beat a HT anyday....

Last edited:
Back