Expectations are getting out of hand

GW's Motorized

Local time
5:56 AM
It seems to me that most of the people that come on here are looking to push a bicycle past what it is capable of. There are people wanting to make the most power and go the fastest on the cheapest bikes they can get their hands on. I understand the want to go fast, but I've taken my bike to 40mph and that is more than enough for me.

I think people are getting unrealistic expectations from false advertisement and bogus claims online. These expectations aren't just of speed, but of longevity, maintenance, modifications, and most of all reliability. People come thinking they can use a 20 dollar bike off Facebook marketplace and a 100 dollar engine off Amazon or ebay to make an ultra reliable, cheap, and fast mode of transportation. Most of these people that come here with these expectations never listen to the warnings.

All of this bothers me. These expectations have caused alot of arguments and alot of injuries. I hate seeing people get hurt from these because of companies advertising something that isn't even close to what they are getting. I also hate people getting into arguments over what these engines/bikes can or can't do.

Sadly there isn't much we can do other than try to convince people thier expectations are not safe or doable. But again this has caused arguments. I really wish people could just see through the disguise of marketing and have more reasonable expectations.

Sorry for the rant, I've just been thinking about this alot lately.

I hear you, reminds me of advertisements in comic books I read in the 60's, man did I want one of those mini submarines! The advertisements for these bike engines from some of the retailers is familiar, 200 miles a gallon, you won't need a car, assembles easily in a hour, converts any bike etc, etc. all for $99.:giggle:

That is nothing new. People have been doing that since before I built my first bike. Even I had delusions of how reliable and trouble free the first bike I built was.

You have the advantage of hindsight and experience, same as me. We know the truth because we already learned our lessons.

You can't blame people. They want something to replace a car or motorcycle, and they often look to these bikes due to the low cost of entry. It can be done cheaply, and be reliable, but you have to have the skill set and tools to achieve those results.

Honestly, this site is a million times better than how it was 10 years ago. Back when all of the "expert builders" were on here. It was almost impossible to learn anything because you had to sort out so much bullcrap from the truth. All of those people are elsewhere, and the forum they reside on now is a total fuster cluck.

Honestly, this site is a million times better than how it was 10 years ago. Back when all of the "expert builders" were on here. It was almost impossible to learn anything because you had to sort out so much bullcrap from the truth. All of those people are elsewhere, and the forum they reside on now is a total fuster cluck.
I will take real world "experienced builders" over all of those master "expert builders" any day of the year...You can't beat real world experience if your really gonna learn something about anything in life...lol...lol.

Myself, as well as a few others here didn't live this long by being stupid...lol...We still keep learning from the "expert" mistakes of others and vow to never do as they do...lol.

"Old age and treachery will overcome youth and "skill" at all times...lol...lol."

Let's not forget that alot of these new people coming into the forums lately have problems with cash flow in this day and age with money being so tight and everything escalating in cost almost daily, and these advertisers are pandering to them by saying how much "easier and cheaper" these bikes are to run as a daily commuter back and forth to work, school, etc.

And lets also not forget how attractive this is also becoming for those of them who have just lost their license to drive due to multiple bad driving traffic infractions, bad accidents, as well as through their own stupidity of drunk and/or drugged driving as well.

They willingly believe all of the advertising hype and tripe because they are now desperate for any form of so-called "cheap" transportation, so they join the forums with unrealistic expectations, and when told the truth, they don't want to hear it...lol...lol.

One thing I don't like is the abandonment of practicality. Going 60 mph with a 7 mile wind up is useless, stick to 30mph in less than 300 feet. I think its called scope creep or something like that, but its basically making the project harder to finish the more you work on it.

One thing I've been doing lately with is dialing back the projects. Just arranged to sell a bike because I wanted to change way too much to it. Was trying to turn a single speed XC bike into a touring rig.

Not quite giving up on the schwinn speedster but I've dialed that back too.

Back