Finally rode my 49cc 4 stroke - Few issues

Sounds good. I got it soaking in oil now. I'll sand it down slightly this week when I have a chance and get it all bolted back up.
if its already soaking id just leave it, sand the clutch part (where the bushing goes into place) as the oil should hopefully cover up the scratches if there not too bad.

The clutch in post #8 pic is toast. The friction material is separating from the clutch shoe.

The clutch in post #8 pic is toast. The friction material is separating from the clutch shoe.
It's just peeling a little. Lots of material left. I ordered another clutch though, since they are cheap. But I may try to continue using this one.

I've seen that happen, the clutch pad separate from the shoe. A little JB weld will glue it back on.

Well - The bike is back up and running. The clutch no longer locks up. But it is really slow to engage now. You pretty much have to pedal to get it going from a dead stop. It wasn't quite so much like this before. It also shudders when engaging at mid-range speeds. I ordered a new clutch and bell from gasbike last weekend, but they didn't ship until Friday... I'm wondering it the clutch locking up did too much damage to it.

I'm about 165lbs for reference. I may order a rear sprocket with more teeth for faster pickup...but it seemed to work decently before.. It wasn't going to do a wheely, but it would accelerate from a dead stop. Maybe just because the bushing was making the clutch grab so easily.

Well, best I can figure, this particular clutch/transmission combo is just garbage. Rode it a few more miles and the clutch started locking up again when hot. I'm going to try a different transmission and clutch completely.

Edit: I guess most transmissions are not for the straight shaft engines...Not sure what to do at this point.

Last edited:
If you are wondering about throttle linkages check out affordablegokarts, they are one of the few websites that sells any kind of performance parts for these engines, one of the things they sell is a throttle linkages which prevent binding in the cable.

Mind you that linkage has been out of stock every time I checked

Yea, I ended up just using a hose clamp it works great lol Just not pretty, but I don't mind. Just not sure what to do about the transmission. Unless I can grind down the straight shaft and convert it to a tapered shaft? Pretty much nothing I can do at the moment unless I want to buy a whole new kit with a decent transmission. Looks like they are a good $300 through Bike Berry.

Tommy check out grubee for a tranny. Can't be that expensive and a grubee will be a quality tranny.

If you decide on something make sure it will fit.

Back