FireBelly 4 Stroke "Hard Box" Transmission

whats the reduction? is the max torque clutch springs stronger to engage at the higher rpm idle? I know that when I stuck a maxtorque clutch on my honda gx 50, it would not stop engaging, the idle was just too high for the standard 3600 rpm clutches. Are the clutches upgraded?
thanks
let me know if so, and pricing, availability etc.

Mike

If you have enough displacement,are not over-geared and the hills are not too long I suppose you can make do without a transmision.I thought for a moment you were copying the Frazer Nash multiple chain drive (using dog clutches) of the 20's. My grandfather had one of those sportscars.It was very light (no driveshaft& differential)and you could change gears very quickly.Regrettably it did not survive WW2.

Around 7:1 total reduction. It is currently at 3.64:1 and produces the previously stated top speed of 34mph w/ a 10 tooth drive sprocket and 44 tooth wheel sprocket and 26x1 1/4" tires.

You can fit an 11 or 9 tooth drive sprocket for a quick 10% adjustment either way. There is room for adjustment at the primary and the secondary for ratio change as well. Though less at the primary because of clutch engagement speed.

Until Next Time WOT

The clutch engages at 2000-2200 rpm and the motor idles at about 2600 rpm, so the clutch is on the 1st reduction shaft.

I am confused,a total reduction of 7:1 of the entire drive train?,that cannot be.You have a 3.64 reduction presumably of the transmision by itself,combined with 4.4:1 in the final drive this produces an overal ratio of 4.4x 3.64=16. That's more like it.

Sorry I was not clear I was answering detonatortuning's question about total possible reduction on the transmission alone. It is about 7:1.

There are many different bikes, trikes etc and jackshafts and this transmission is designed to be adaptable to many applications. Therefore an o/a wide reduction range needs to be possible.

That said a 7:1 transmission will have different clutch springs than a 3.64:1.

Higher than 3.64:1 is easilly accomplished as well. For most people's application there is plenty of ratio options w/ a standard clutch (2200 rpm).
for the special large reduction applications a lower rpm clutch (1200 rpm) will be furnished.

So the redesign has been submitted. The tested dimensions and layout remain the same however the 1st reduction will now be sealed and bathe in oil. This will improve appearance, insure quieter operation and longer chain life. Weight is expected to be in the area of 7 lbs.

We believe that w/ the weight and drive train resistance down to a minimum and optimal gearing ratios that this is a top notch option for the 4 stroke motor kits. We also believe that appearance and craftsmanship are an integral part of the motorized bicycle experience. We have designed this transmission to complement the appearance of your vintage and modern rides alike. All of the machining and labor are and will continue to be performed in America; all parts and materials are sourced from American companies. Every effort is being made to keep cost down while operating w/ ethic and integrity. This will not be the cheapest option but we hope that the price to value ratio will provide you w/ the best transmission available. We are open to any questions comments or concerns.

Updates!

FireBelly's new 4 stroke drive solution is going into production. Only a very limited # will be available for purchase initially.
Some of the features include:

CNC machined Aluminum; All hard parts!

Lighter Weight

Outboard Bearing Support for engine output shaft

Sealed Bearings

Quiet Operation/Minimal Maintenance; Closed and Sealed 1st reduction chain bathes in oil.

Many Gear Ratio Options!

Cool Clutch Operation for longer life.

Made and sourced locally in WA and the greater U S of A

We Think it is Simple and Ellegant!

FireBelly....can u tell us anymore about it(together with rescent pic).....how many are going to be produced & at what price?
Any added info would be handy,thanks man.

Back