Freewheel from coaster conversion

I think i going to use the mammoth rims, and 14ga spokes should be sufficent since im not using a rag joint sprocket setup, i weigh around 200lbs, but again they are 36 hole rims so im thinking they can hold me,and the weight of the engine bike combo without breakage issues.

In my opinion, this is a great subject!

I do not even own a bike yet...and I have spent hours puzzling this.

I'm looking at buying a cool looking bike, but it has coaster brakes. I want to scrap this before I assemble the bike the first time! (I don't like coasters)

Another problem...I need strong brakes!
I also want good looking wheels and brakes! (that are safe!)

The "best" and "easiest" (but not cheapest) solution that I have been able to find. (correct me if I'm wrong!) Buy a set of rims that has been set up for disk brakes. Now! Here is my simple idea! Use the disk brakes on the front wheel and use the "disk brake" bolt holes on the rear wheel for the drive chain. This will require some simple modification to the kit supplied drive sprocket to make the bolt holes line up for the holes on the rim!

Wha La!!!

Ideally, this could work effectively.

Am I making any sense? Maybe I need to make some pictures...

Last edited:
Nick my plan is to install a rear disc rear wheel, with a singlespeed sprocket, then you can buy a custom chain sprocket from kingssalesandservice that bolts directly to the disc hub, no sprocket mods are needed, it would be a bolt up operation as long as the clearance's are good.

Nick my plan is to install a rear disc rear wheel, with a singlespeed sprocket, then you can buy a custom chain sprocket from kingssalesandservice that bolts directly to the disc hub, no sprocket mods are needed, it would be a bolt up operation as long as the clearance's are good.

Ahhh nice, I would like to know how this out! Very nice!

(I love this saying...K.I.S.S.= Keep It Simple Stupid)

Back