friction roller dai/speed

I agree with a more comfortable seat...I had it out riding this weekend, hit 32 mph with the 1.5 roller, so I was pleased with the performance...

Yeah, I didn't think you would need the 1.75 to bust thru 30 but didn't want to get flamed for saying so. Not having a clutch makes it more efficent and a lot quieter.

Actually, I haven't had the opportunity to really see what it can do...such as a nice long stretch of flat road...oh yeah, I put the 1.75 back on...Has anyone been useing oak for rollers...they are pretty simple to make and was wondering how long they might last?

Well I have never used Oak, just the aspen ones that came with my kit. Its funny, it seems you can use about any material if it's attached properly. But I have never heard of glazing from slippage, seen some heat marking however but the neat thing is once you set the legs to the right height/angle and use a tire spacer it stays set perfect even if I go up or down 1 size on my drive roller as there is enough "self adjustment" in the system to absorb the 1/4" change.

Yes...I noticed the same thing about the legs and changing rollers...the system does seem to adjust to 1/4 inch either way. I thought about oak because it is from the family of hard woods, aspen is considered a softer wood. I haven't ridden long enough to determine the effects on the oak rollers, but it glazing does occur I could probably hit it with a piece of heay grit sandpaper for a few seconds. If the oak works as well as the aspen, I'll do a cost breakdown comparing the two.

yes -- using good old 30 weight -- I think that's what was recommended
get's a little hot down here (so calif) in the summers as you know

some have claimed much higher top speed than what I am getting
with the same basic set up

Robin 1.6 hp
1" roller
fair quality mountain bike
overall weight bike and rider 150 aprox
achieving a 22.5 mph on the true level ground

that's almost 1/5 th the speed that my stock Harley's used to do
more than happy with that

all that I can truly say for sure is
anytime on two wheels
it is fun to ride that MB THING
To back-calculate, if you getting 22.5 MPH with a 1 inch roller, the engine has to be running at 7567 RPM...

22.5 mph * (5280 ft/Mile) * (12 Inch/Ft) / (60 minutes/Hour) / (1 inch roller) / 3.14 = 7566.9

FWIW,
When my bike was running; 95lbs loaded;200lbs of me; Subaru/Robin 33.5cc w/1-1/8" roller (unimproved Staton kit). 22mph cruise; 25mph sustainable on flats; 28mph wot on flats. Highest recorded speed-38mph slight downhill, wot, slight tailwind, full prayers; eyelids flapping like Woody, and tongue flapping at my ears as I was scared sh****ss!
Why anyone would want to go more than 25 no any kind of bicycle is beyond my old brain and bones.
WC

Well the speed thing comes from back when we were young and industructable, lol. In my crazier days 10+ years ago when I was also in better shape I had a full suspension model of the Bike E like in my photo here. The engine I was running then was an extra high RPM model and I put a 1.75 or 2" driver on it. I was showing off in a 60 MPH zone with big fat sholders, 4 lanes that were new smooth and straight and was pulled over by a Utah HP who wanted to know how the **** I was doing 58. The engine helped but really I was pedaling my XXs off.

The guys on the Harleys gave it a thumbs up. Now I am like you, 20-25 most of the time, 30-35 if it makes me safer with traffic.

I was picturing in my mind the HP pulling you over and asking how the **** you did 58mph....I actually did laugh out loud... Do you still have the bike E?

Back