Fuel smell in garage, puddle of gas...

herbiedriver

Local time
9:52 PM
Woke up Sunday morning to a heavier than normal gas smell in the garage and a nice new puddle of gas under the bike. Figured it was leaking out of the float bowl vent because the bike was leaning more than normal on the kickstand. No biggie, just prop the bike up the right way.

Get on to go for a ride and clean it off, and it wouldn't even spin, pop the clutch and leave a 10' skid... Finally get some movement only to see a nice trail of liquid. Wow, thats from me!

Pedal it back to the garage and watch as gas is pouring out of the exhaust.

So the carb's float hasn't been shutting off and it filled the cylinder with gas and now it filled the exhaust tube too!

Quick adjustment, clean and it's all back to normal.

Fun little adventure.

that's why we turn off the petcock - the float won't always hold it when on the stand

Me too

Just had to make a rubber gasket that goes on the bottom of the carb whare it connects to the air filter, and also put the fuel filter on upside down and it's gone from leaving a puddle to bone dry

seen folks do that - where do you think all that fuel went when it got to the filter and had no opening at the bottom - right into the motor

seen folks do that - where do you think all that fuel went when it got to the filter and had no opening at the bottom - right into the motor
That make no sense.

First in-line fuel filers work either way, just better in one direction from the source fuel.
Second, if fuel can't get to the carb how the heck is it getting into the engine?

Anyway, cool you found the problem and fixed it.

My shop is the back 1/3rd of my house with a carpet floor so everything gets fuel inspected and all fuel work is done outside.

oops - misread that - thought he meant putting air filter upside down

turning fuel filter upside down won't affect flow, but may dump everything that was caught previously down into the carb

oops - misread that - thought he meant putting air filter upside down
turning fuel filter upside down won't affect flow, but may dump everything that was caught previously down into the carb
Hehe, ya, put it back on backwards and it's a debris dump right into the carb, definitely something to avoid ;-}

Back