GP460 Engine On Friction Drive

5-7, Hope You Like The Shifter As Much As I Do, Really Fun And Coool. Are You Going To Use The Same Engine? It Should Work Great. Have The Hs Titan On Mine, But Many Engines Will Work Of Course. Ron

Yes, Ron, I'll try to use the same engine. It should provide more than enough power for my needs. Just need to fab a custom front motor mount for my bike's oblong tube.

5-7, were you using 91 octane fuel or higher on the GP460? i've heard lower octane fuel makes the 2-strokes run hotter especially on a high performance engine like the GP460. i've even heard of people running 97 octane fuel on that thing.

I encountered trouble on the way to meet Hawaii Ed this morning.

The engine stalled at the traffic light four miles from home. I richened both low and high settings and continued on. A few minutes later, the engine started losing power at 35mph so I pulled over. The engine wouldn't start, and I noticed that the pullstart was not being resisted by stiff engine compression. When the engine cooled down, I inspected the sparkplug, which had a dark-brown color. Not much compression on my finger when I yanked the pullstart.

I called Hawaii Ed to explain my situation. He's guessing I broke the piston ring (There's only one ring and it looks like the common oil control ring).

While waiting for my wife to pick me and the bike up, I noticed that the rubber friction roller's diameter seemed to be getting smaller, after only 20-something miles' use. There was also fine rubber dust particles around the seatstay frame. The tire tread also showed signs of wear too. This surprised me; I thought rubber-to-rubber contact would produce very little wear.

I need to buy a long-stemmed torx driver to yank the cylinder/head. I also have the parts to repair the damage. I guess I'll throw on my #2 Mitsubishi engine, so I can commute to work tomorrow.

If it's not one thing, it's another.:sick:

She is a good woman !

one time i was riding a used bike that i had just installed a friction drive kit on and i was 10 miles away from home. there was an unexpected small curb so i pulled up on the handle bars to jump it and the whole thing came off from my bike. i fell off and cracked my helmet on the sidewalk and had a slight concussion. i didn't have the right size allen wrench to tighten her up again and had to call my poor wife to let her know that my bike is broken, un-rideable, and it will take me a while to walk it home. my wife is japanese and has rarely driven outside of japan (they drive on the opposite side of the road). she is also not very comfortable with driving a car with a stick shift (which is what we have). she had no idea where i was when i was trying to tell her and to make matters worse, our little 2 year old daughter was in a cranky mood because it was her nap time. well she took it on her own to somehow drive over to pick me up. i guess most of us with motorized bikes have got some more "good wife" stories to tell.

one time i was riding a used bike that i had just installed a friction drive kit on and i was 10 miles away from home. there was an unexpected small curb so i pulled up on the handle bars to jump it and the whole thing came off from my bike. i fell off and cracked my helmet on the sidewalk and had a slight concussion. i didn't have the right size allen wrench to tighten her up again and had to call my poor wife to let her know that my bike is broken, un-rideable, and it will take me a while to walk it home. my wife is japanese and has rarely driven outside of japan (they drive on the opposite side of the road). she is also not very comfortable with driving a car with a stick shift (which is what we have). she had no idea where i was when i was trying to tell her and to make matters worse, our little 2 year old daughter was in a cranky mood because it was her nap time. well she took it on her own to somehow drive over to pick me up. i guess most of us with motorized bikes have got some more "good wife" stories to tell.

Wow ! She is cool ! My wife won't, WON'T drive a stick shift !:D

My wife and kids were all trained to drive stickshift. Daughter impressed her high school guy friends when she could drive their 4WD trucks.

Back