GP460 Engine On Friction Drive

The Latest Update: Different Bike, Same Engine/Drive

The GP460 engine and friction drive were transplanted onto a white Diamondback Response bike with larger frame and disc brakes. Same 1.375" roller.

I'll call it "The White Dragon".:devilish:

A four-mile testrun went perfectly, even better than "The Iron Dragon". Its pocketbike clutch performed with velvet smoothness. Low end torque was not as bad when using this new bike's lowest gears.

Right now I'm using the 1.5 liter goped tank and carry two 16oz fuel containers. As soon as I fab mounts for a four-liter Happy Time tank, I'll be ready to join Hawaii Ed and finish our 100-mile island ride.

My 460 engine is literally chewing up the rear tire in less than a month.

Sooo I replaced the steel Staton 1.375" friction roller and clutch drum with a BMP drum and 1.5" rubber friction roller. I also installed a new BMP friction drive housing, since the old housing was carved up to clear the Dominator expansion pipe I experimented with. Now that I'm using a stock muffler, I can use an unmodified drive housing. However, I DID have to drill holes for the goped tank and two Single-action rear support struts.

Acceleration should suffer with the high gear ratio, but the rubber roller should be gentler on the poor rear tire. It doesn't matter if wet weather performance suffers, because it ALWAYS beats pedalling.:geek:

My 460 engine is literally chewing up the rear tire in less than a month.
hehe, noone ever gets to read every thread about every project...but every time i saw this subject-line i imagined that 460 smokin' it right down to the rim before you moved an inch :giggle:

for the money, i'd still like to experience one someday...i just couldn't find a way to trust it on the long-road is all.

The fussy carb is the culprit. My engine often stalls; when it roars to life, the roller cuts a deep groove in to the tire. Quick-release rear struts would cure that, but mine are bolted down and secured with tiewraps. Even the housing's front pivot is tightened fast for stability and rigidity.

Personally, I have to make carb adjustments EVERY day, on the fly. Doesn't bother me much, since I'm a tinkerer.

Ticks me off if I'm headed for work or in a hurry.:whistle:

Actually, augidog,this engine does not have much low end torque, so no wearing down the tire to the rim UNLESS something is wrong, like in my case.

Using a pocketbike clutch, engagement is velvet smooth and acceleration all the way through its range is pleasant and manageable.The fussy carb is the culprit. My engine often stalls; when it roars to life, the roller cuts a deep groove in to the tire. Quick-release rear struts would cure that, but mine are bolted down and secured with tiewraps. Even the housing's front pivot is tightened fast for stability and rigidity.

Personally, I have to make carb adjustments EVERY day, on the fly. Doesn't bother me much, since I'm a tinkerer.

Ticks me off if I'm headed for work or in a hurry.:whistle:

Methinks I'll try the powerful but RELIABLE Tanaka 47R engine next.

Thanks for the update, 5-7Heaven! You saved me some money by reading about your problems with the GP460. Gonna have to read up on the Tanaka 47R.

Thanks for the update, 5-7Heaven! You saved me some money by reading about your problems with the GP460. Gonna have to read up on the Tanaka 47R.

Other members have the 460 engine on Staton drive, GEBE, Scooterguy and custom rack-mount systems. They have had varying degrees of success, as have I. JMO, this puppy is a wild mustang which needs time and effort to tame.

i need something that is as close to being 100% reliable as possible. too many times in the past i've had to peddle my bike 12 miles home when an engine won't start or a part breaks off. it gets up to 110 F in the summer and as low as in the 20's here in the winter. i'm not exactly a spring chicken any more so need something i can depend on 99.9% of the time. that's why i pretty much read as much as i can from the members here to make the best decision when buying new kits or engines.

Last edited:
Back