GP460 Engine On Friction Drive

After removing the Staton 1.375" steel friction roller from my BMP friction drive housing, I installed a hard-rubber BMP 1.5" friction roller. The loss in acceleration was not as great as expected. Top speed yesterday was 41.7mph on the flats with no wind and stock muffler. That was fast enough to keep up with traffic on the 35mph highway.

This roller will definitely be gentler on the back tire. It is a very good match for the 460 engine.

Last edited by a moderator:
that's what i was expecting when i asked if anyone has ordered one of the rubber rollers from BMP. 5-7 Heaven, how thick is the urethane on the roller? you will have to do some real world testing for us on how much rubber on the roller will be worn down in the long run. as the rubber wears down on the roller i'm guessing that your top end speed will also come down.

It's rubber bonded to the metal hub, not urethane. I did not measure its thickness before installing it.

Today I'll ride 12 miles to Ewa Beach to meet Hawaii Ed. The rain has stopped, but it should be challenging on the wet roads.:whistle:

Augi, Cpu, Was Searching On The Engine Site Augi Just Posted. The Do Have The Honda`s, 25cc,35cc, 50cc In Stock. My Honda 31 Cc Engines Have The 78mm Clutch. Is The 25cc Clutch 54mm??!! Ron

Big trouble!

I encountered trouble on the way to meet Hawaii Ed this morning.

The engine stalled at the traffic light four miles from home. I richened both low and high settings and continued on. A few minutes later, the engine started losing power at 35mph so I pulled over. The engine wouldn't start, and I noticed that the pullstart was not being resisted by stiff engine compression. When the engine cooled down, I inspected the sparkplug, which had a dark-brown color. Not much compression on my finger when I yanked the pullstart.

I called Hawaii Ed to explain my situation. He's guessing I broke the piston ring (There's only one ring and it looks like the common oil control ring).

While waiting for my wife to pick me and the bike up, I noticed that the rubber friction roller's diameter seemed to be getting smaller, after only 20-something miles' use. There was also fine rubber dust particles around the seatstay frame. The tire tread also showed signs of wear too. This surprised me; I thought rubber-to-rubber contact would produce very little wear.

I need to buy a long-stemmed torx driver to yank the cylinder/head. I also have the parts to repair the damage. I guess I'll throw on my #2 Mitsubishi engine, so I can commute to work tomorrow.

If it's not one thing, it's another.:sick:

Damaged Piston/Ring/Cylinder

My 460 engine suffered a galled piston and cylinder. I have spare parts for the repairs. Hope I can find time this week.

NOT looking forward to pedalling to and from work.:whistle:

Geesh, wonder what caused that? Not enough oil in the mix?

Come to think of it, I DID pour some old gas mix into the tank before leaving home. I also richened the carb's low and high speed settings minutes before the engine failed.

Not to worry. The engine should be fixed by next week.

I now believe that GP460 engines don't work well with friction drive. Not because of this engine failure, but because rear tires have a VERY short lifespan.:sick:

I just HAVE to finish my Scooterguy install.

Back