GP460 Engine On Friction Drive

Steve, let me know your tach settings. It'll help me test and tune.

Darn goped tank is leaking, probably at the fuel grommet. I'll probably patch the hole and relocate the fuel lines to the top.

What octane gas and fuel/oil ratio are you using with 460 engine and .005" copper base gasket?

Thinking of Staton springs now.:unsure:

we have either 91 or 93 oct. around here, i use which ever.

i run Lucas semi-synthetic racing oil at 32:1, this has never caused a problem for me.

OR, Amsoil Saber mixed VERY carefully at 8 oz. to 2 gals. this will be close to 75:1 (reputed to be equal to about 37.5:1 with other oils) i have not had problems with this either directly relative to the oil nor THAT mix ratio.

you will not however want to make the mistake i did recently of telling yourself it's 4 oz. to the gal. and then go to the gas station and put 2 GALS. in the mix jug with that 4 oz. of fuel.

the GP460 doesn't think THAT'S funny AT ALL !!

it does put out what seems like 8 HP though, for just long enough to hear that other old saying float thru your mind, " yeah, strangely, it was running REAL GOOD just before it quit"

will do on tach / speed readings.

steve

5-7,

road speeds and as close as i could see the rpms, while looking at road surface/ speedo/ tach all at once.

MPH RPM

20 5400
25 6600
30 8000
35 9400
40 10600
45 11900

these results on my newly broken in GP460 top-end, stock CR (.020" paper gasket), Dominator, 20.91:1 gear ratio, "H" needle 1-1/4 turns, "L" needle 1-1/8 turns. i'm happy with this since my goal was to cruise at 40mph right on the power peak.

i'll run this again in about a week when i go back to the .005" copper gasket, though i don't think there will be much i fany diff. other than the strength of the engine to make speed transitions and overcome headwinds, hills are nothing in either case at this ratio. i'll get some solid MPG for both CR's to pass along too.

FWIW, "chevy" says he's NEVER gone leaner than 40:1 actual mix on the Amsoil Saber Synthetic.

steve

holy cats !! just re-read the comments i made in post #192, there are some times of day and even DAYS i shouldn't post i think.

TOTALLY DISREGAURD THE AMSOIL SABER MIXING RATIOS IN POST #192 THEY ARE INCORRECT AND WILL CAUSE YOU PROBLEMS.

pick a quality oil you have confidence in and mix according to your engine manufacturers recommendations.

very sorry,
steve

Steve, no worry, I knew what you meant.:giggle:

yeah, when i nod 2-3 times while trying to post , i need to just cancel whatever's up and leave the keyboard. i'm a morning person. up at 4:30, at work by 6:30, done by 2:30. i really shouldn't be doing anything with consequences after supper:)

HI H.Ed, thanks for the props buddy. LOL

i'm actually surprized that nobody jumped on that with a righteous WTH are you talking about !!

i'm weening my new cylinder up off the Lucas break-in oil this week. right now on Amsoil Saber at 50:1 actual mix (5.2oz. per 2 gals.) ghost smoke, 1 or 2 spots of spew from the pipe per ride. a really good, strong, safe mix.

Saber at 75:1 actual mix, 3.9oz per 2 gal ( i just use 4oz.) was my best ratio for stock CR (.020" gasket) in the past.

i ran it without problems with the .005" gasket while i was still using the 19.09:1 gearing and staying around 8600rpm.

my latest trajedy was a combination of mis-mixing fuel (pretty sure it was close to 150:1 LOL) and wringing 11000-13000rpm off the .005" gasket.:rolleyes:

i'll go back to the .005" gasket BEFORE i make another mix ratio change and go from there.

and.................back to friction drive..............................

thanks,
steve

Last edited:
Yeah, today I 'll pick up my respoked rear wheel. I decided to have all spokes replaced with 14gauge SS spokes. Then I guess I can have them respoke the front wheel with SS spokes today.

Waiting for my 4-liter tank to arrive and will probably work on my leaky goped tank over the weekend.

I cut a foot length of 2 by 4 to place under my center stand. That should raise "The Iron Dragon" high enough to change tires and start the bike with the rear wheel off the ground.

Back