Grease

Rusty_S85

Local time
5:17 AM
I wanted to ask what kind of grease is everyone using for bearings like hub bearings and headset bearings?

I didn't buy any grease but I do have some engine assembly grease that is real sticky and is used for lubricating the an engine till the oil pump gets oil to these vital parts. I thought of using this for the headset bearings. But just wondering what grease other people are using.

I like using Red -N- Tacky, Made by Lucas oil products

I like using Red -N- Tacky, Made by Lucas oil products
That would be my ultimate choice as well, untill I get more of that I have to use up my unruly collection of white lithium grease.

Have some goop on hand that red tack is the worst to clean off your hands, even dawn dish soap struggles with it.

I wanted to ask what kind of grease is everyone using for bearings like hub bearings and headset bearings?

I didn't buy any grease but I do have some engine assembly grease that is real sticky and is used for lubricating the an engine till the oil pump gets oil to these vital parts. I thought of using this for the headset bearings. But just wondering what grease other people are using.

I personally use Lucas marine grease (blue)

Lucas marine grease is the stuff. The oil does not separate, unlike with their red n tacky which I found to separately and leak out on me.. The marine grease washes out a little easier than the red n tacky though, something to be a little mindful of when spraying her down.

I use valvoline multipurpose wherever a specific grease isn't specified. I like it cause it comes in a tub, no need to mess with perpetually broken grease guns. I keep a tub of moly grease on hand as well, but it's expensive stuff, overkill for wheel bearings. I mostly just put it in stuff that I don't want to have to ever service again.

Thanks for the reply. That was a concern of mine was water proofing. Not sure sure how water proof the hubs I will be using nor the headset sent with my frame are. I know the assembly lube is fairly sticky but flow of oil will wash it off and break it down. Water will probably do the same thing. I don't want to use the grease I have here as I think it will run if it gets hot enough. I do have some Lucas grease how ever that is for trucks and farm equipment. Says its for equipment that is not serviced regularly. Might be a good option just don't know how water proof it is.

Thanks for the reply. That was a concern of mine was water proofing. Not sure sure how water proof the hubs I will be using nor the headset sent with my frame are. I know the assembly lube is fairly sticky but flow of oil will wash it off and break it down. Water will probably do the same thing. I don't want to use the grease I have here as I think it will run if it gets hot enough. I do have some Lucas grease how ever that is for trucks and farm equipment. Says its for equipment that is not serviced regularly. Might be a good option just don't know how water proof it is.

Well something like "not serviced regularly" rings an alarm for picking it for use on exposed parts. Normally if you aren't going to bother with it regularly then it's probably enclosed and not very capable of loosing grease.

Think of the gear work in a power drill, those internally greased parts are indented to be greased at the factory and never be opened for service afterwards.

On farm equipment I would think of certain gear boxes or differentials on field prepping equipment, you know the stuff that gets a beating and once the gears go you just replace the whole unit. Certain large actuators get put in a huge sealed tube and get grease that generally doesn't get exposed to debri..

Chain boxes and large bearings (even bearings in pulleys on belt using engines) get that too, like parts that just go from box to truck to dump without being serviced otherwise in between.

If it says waterproof on the container it's waterproof, water resistant does what it does, and everything else is basically up to application.

I buy the cheapest can of grease the auto store has, I have ~6 years on this ~$5 can.

Back