Hello from Oklahoma

Thanks man, I appreciate your concern. This fender is all checked out.
This is what can happen if the fender mount breaks. The fender brace wraps around the axle and wedges into the wheel
Sending the rider flying
DSCF1974.JPG

This is what can happen if the fender mount breaks. The fender brace wraps around the axle and wedges into the wheel
Sending the rider flying
View attachment 96403

So, I don’t have any pictures of the modification but what I did is replace the fork mounting tab on my front fender. I drilled out the rivers that held on that flimsy piece of metal and cut some 1/8th in thick steel angle and riveted it back in place.

That Marin is a sweet bike, love the colors. Hate to see the MSRP on that I might choke.

Hey!

Been lurking and learning for a bit. Decided to say hi and thought about starting my own thread but, as I’m an Okie hailing from T-town I decided I’d just borrow your banner, brother. Hope you don’t mind.
D4DB4856-831A-4432-8050-508C47E3AD85.jpeg

My dear here is a highly modified Ariel M-class mid-drive ebike that had some questionable factory components for its intended use and also used to give me range anxiety. Don’t get me wrong...my best run on the stock bike was 50 miserable miles on a full charge but, it was about 60% lighter then so I’m sure all-electric range suffered. The misery was mainly seat and headwind related, but real. I had hell finding a gear ratio that let me and the motor play well together in variable winds and rolling hills with the stock gearing and 8-speed. Just swapping the sprocket from 18-21t made a big difference for me in both speed and range. You’ve got to figure out a best guess on where your torque curves mesh but, I digress.
After replacing essentially everything except the electronics, fork, and frame I strapped a Staton outboard onboard and have slowly been putting it through the paces. The fork is frankly on the list but, appears to have a custom length steerer tube and I’m having all sorts of hell getting replies on replacements in lots of less than 10. Not ideal. That said, she runs like a dream, so far. The friction drive is a bit quirky in that it’s a better sustainer motor than accelerator but, it’s got no trouble at 20-25 on level ground with a bit of help getting there or 20 uphill if you’re still building speed when you get to it. Think locomotive and remember there’s a grinder atop the tire and it’s fine. Enough downhill changes the game substantially. I haven’t let it drift much above 30 and frankly won’t. I’ve got plenty of grip and stopping power there and don’t intend to die for lolz but, once up to 28 or so that becomes pretty maintainable on flats with 25 being realistic uphill around here. The electric assist seems perfectly content at about 17-18 flat, 10-12 uphill, and 24 unassisted downhill. I’ve got it controller limited at 18 so any more is all me but, I could probably get higher uphill speeds if I were willing to go above pedal assist 2-3 of 5. Throttle only the little ‘lectric legs will run about 15 up out of our river valleys but, that’s ruinous on range.
I’ve been having an unexpected blast on a bike, so far. Any assist really opens up your surroundings even if it’s only enough to help level out the terrain. I’ve been shocked to have over 600 miles on the bike in so few rides and only about 60 with the gas option available so, that’s about to go up considerably. I hope you like my ride and enjoyed my review. Look forward to hearing from all of you.

Hey all, my name is Chris and I’m from Bethany, Oklahoma. I want to start by saying Thank You to those that have contributed to this forum, I’ve already been able to find several answers to questions I’ve had.

Long story short, I bought a bike this weekend from a friend of my wife’s that someone else had already installed a chinese 2 stroke kit on. She said her husband rode it a few times before “it quit”.

I’m a handy guy and I enjoy a project, I’ve owned a couple of gy6 scooters and a few motorcycles over the years (Yamaha radian, Fz6, Honda vt750). I enjoy working on mechanical things and electronics are a bit of a hobby as well.

10 minutes after getting it home I had already determined that it was a wiring issue, everything was electrical taped together in a bundle and the magneto had come disconnected. A little bit of pre-mix in the tank and it fired right up.

Like the wiring a lot of things on the bike needed to be re-addressed. I took the opportunity of fixing the wire to run it all internally in the frame. I also shortened drive chain, re-centered the drive sprocket, sleeved the kill switch wires and touched up some scuffs on the engine case.

The bike needed a total detail so I went to work on that as well, also removing all the cheesy “Hawaiian” themed stickers.

After a new plug and some carb tuning she rips. Top speed (downhill) is 35mph by gps. Which honestly is WAY too fast for this platform. It’s a hoot to cruise around 20-25mph though.

Here are some pics of the finished product. I also designed and 3D printed a few items for the build including a 60mm filter adapter for the nt carb, a custom mount for the Cdi and a sprocket alignment tool
Welcome, and nice ride! You know your stuff. Just curious: are you familiar with gas bike kits from Staton-inc.com based in Oklahoma City? I live in NH and I've never tried a frame-mounted Chinese 22-stroke kit, although I'm tempted. I have a Staton-inc axle mounted kit, which is my tinker toy.

Welcome, and nice ride! You know your stuff. Just curious: are you familiar with gas bike kits from Staton-inc.com based in Oklahoma City? I live in NH and I've never tried a frame-mounted Chinese 22-stroke kit, although I'm tempted. I have a Staton-inc axle mounted kit, which is my tinker toy.
typo correction: "...Chinese 2-stroke kit..."

Back