higher compression requires better head sealing

• Thread starter Deleted member 12676
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
Take spark check the plug with the head put to on the top turn the key. Don't put carb. Blow the holes with twist blow.

Carb level set level for best, about as level when upside down. Push the clip to highest. Clip it then read plug from ride.

If it rides better then good, if not take pic. Thkns.
This is a pedal 80 cc

Attachments

• 20170131_163443.jpg
    20170131_163443.jpg
    108.8 KB · Views: 163
Take spark check the plug with the head put to on the top turn the key. Don't put carb. Blow the holes with twist blow.

Carb level set level for best, about as level when upside down. Push the clip to highest. Clip it then read plug from ride.

If it rides better then good, if not take pic. Thkns.
it smokes alot from muffler i would have to keep it on full throttle or even pedal at same time and still dies

Hello Aladdin,
You are kind of hijacking a thread here, but you are new and need help.
Your head did not look like it blew a headgasket. It looks like you have lots of oil.
Your piston has clean "wash" areas on top that indicate too much fuel.
One quick way to "lean it out" is to move the clip on the needle in the carb throttle slide.
If you move the clip to the top position it will lean out the carb mixture.

Frankenstein was also alluding to checking the carb float level.
I would suggest you may have too much oil in your fuel too.
Are you running between 24:1 to 32:1?

Hello Aladdin,
You are kind of hijacking a thread here, but you are new and need help.
Your head did not look like it blew a headgasket. It looks like you have lots of oil.
Your piston has clean "wash" areas on top that indicate too much fuel.
One quick way to "lean it out" is to move the clip on the needle in the carb throttle slide.
If you move the clip to the top position it will lean out the carb mixture.

Frankenstein was also alluding to checking the carb float level.
I would suggest you may have too much oil in your fuel too.
Are you running between 24:1 to 32:1?
I wasn't alluding, I'm not even sure what I wrote but I know I didn't allude a thing!

I tried the Aluminum paint method for seal. It's pretty good with a nicely made head. BUT - The early slant heads were pieces of poop and nothing helps when they get to warping.

I'm using 2 sheets of aluminum foil with 2 sheets of writing paper on my 240 Blaster at the moment.
I dropped a cut head on and this stack gave me the squish I needed. Time will tell if it works.
I burnt the original:
16427408_10154822952960803_1205642336611913384_n.jpg

Had too big of a washer under the nuts. Didn't seat well.
Head on the lower right came off, one on the upper left going on:
16426300_10154819055735803_9006597621308473859_n.jpg

We did mention HeadSmess' teflon gasket trick, didn't we? It works great on these bikes. All I use now.
Was temped to use it on the Blaster but I wouldn't have the right squish measurement.

I'm using 2 sheets of aluminum foil with 2 sheets of writing paper on my 240 Blaster at the moment.
I dropped a cut head on and this stack gave me the squish I needed. Time will tell if it works.
I burnt the original:
16427408_10154822952960803_1205642336611913384_n.jpg

Had too big of a washer under the nuts. Didn't seat well.
Head on the lower right came off, one on the upper left going on:
16426300_10154819055735803_9006597621308473859_n.jpg

We did mention HeadSmess' teflon gasket trick, didn't we? It works great on these bikes. All I use now.
Was temped to use it on the Blaster but I wouldn't have the right squish measurement.
I'm intensely curious as to why the teflon works as well as it is claimed to work. Why is it that the easily shredded or destroyed ribbon is so capable of handling the pressures involved with a head gasket? I can think perhaps because it's being pressed flat on the mating surfaces and having very little surface to actually be pressed against but still... Is it because of how thin it's being pressed that the sheer friction/clamp force is simply holding it in? I've yet to blow a copper gasket on one of these engines so I guess I'm using the ones I have indefinitely, but I'd be interested in giving the teflon tape a whack to see the results myself.

Have you ever blown a teflon tape gasket? What's the likelihood of it being an effective form of antiseize on a spark plug out of curiosity, it seems to handle the heat pretty well. Seems like a few manufacturers make teflon head gaskets for Harleys with cylinder sizes upwards of 500ccs a piece (1000 total). That's nuts! A lot of power behind something like that to be held back by a lowly piece of polymer.

I've blown teflon gaskets, but they're so cheap to put together with a material you probably already have that it's not really even a concern.

you don't want to electrically insulate a spark plug's threads. I typically use permatex's aluminum anti seize.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back