Honda 1979 185T Twinstar

Harddog96

Local time
4:14 PM
I just acquired one of these last week and the original bike calls for a 6v battery, which didn’t power the starter at all. I then got an 12v and started instantly. originally I don’t think this came with an electric starter. I think somebody converted it, but none of the lights work and there’s a separate cable that goes from the negative up to the starter button and there’s still the two that go on the positive terminal of the battery. But no lights work at all, no turn signal or nothing, not even clicking when you turn the blinker on.

Is there a green wire anywhere around your battey unhooked or broke?
Not that I’ve seen yet but it is green coming down from the top that they spliced and ran to the battery. You can see in one of the pictures they didn’t even heat shrink the wire connector. It’s a blue one in the top right of the picture.

Attachments

• IMG_1162.jpeg
    IMG_1162.jpeg
    230.5 KB · Views: 54
Not that I’ve seen yet but it is green coming down from the top that they spliced and ran to the battery. You can see in one of the pictures they didn’t even heat shrink the wire connector. It’s a blue one in the top right of the picture.
You should check that wire then. If it goes from different gages of wire you should replace the whole wire. This goes for all wires

Find your chassis ground on that bike, should be a ground point at the the frame somewhere. Check & clean all them type grounds. Might be a ground point on the engine as well. Clean them.

Next pull the headlight out of the headlight bucket & see if there are any ground wires in the headlight bucket. Usually green, check & clean it.

If lights continue not to work, try a jumper wire from the ground in the headlight bucket to the battery ground/negative (-)

Also make sure your light switches are on, & I think the bike has to be running for the lights to work.

That's the signal wire for the CDI, and yea, it won't start without it.

Back