Hooking up wires

someone will let us know if this is wrong, but knowledgable local 2-stroke advice i get is a "change" is ok, but a "mix" is not...drain it dry, then start fresh with your break-in ratio of real oil 25:1.

Break it in with a tank of 24/1 mix with either oil and go to 40/1 after that. The "no synthetic" thing is for four strokes.

The key is to seat the rings- don't baby it too much, but be sure to let it warm up for a minute before you get crazy on it....and that goes for ANY time you run a two stroke. There is a nasty little thing called "cold seizure" that happens with 2T engines if not warmed up properly. (moderate rpm's, light load)

You can mix the two different types, as the mixing issue was delt with in the 70's pretty much.

thanks for the clarification, joe...maybe i can teach my local buddies something now, eh?

You scratch my back, I'll scratch yours....(see "clutch really hard to pull in".)

Yeah, back when they first came out with synth oil, it would turn to cottage cheese when mixed with dino oil.....mostly when the two met in an injector system.

You guys know that castor OR castor synthetic blend oil is by far the best to use with a 2 stroke right?

I haven't checked the cost lately, but you can buy it from several sources, plus when burn, it smells SUHWEET!

iRide Customs said:
Well, I through it together in a couple of hours this morning and then had to go run errands before firing it off.

After the errands I sped home and started tinkering with the last few minor details before giving it the gas. I double checked all the nuts and bolt 3 times, made sure all the wires were connected and the clutch was adjusted properly. I turn it for the shop door and hopped on the seat to pedal it out to the street and....clunk! By golly if the cranks aren't wide enough and they hit the engine. Lame. Well I figured I would just push start it. I got to the street and gave her a push...bllluuu bllluuuu blluuuuuuuuuu u. Nothing. Second time, same thing. I pushed it back to the shop and rechecked everything. Tried it one more time and same thing...nothing. Rolled back to the shop, took out the plug, checked gap and checked for spark. Hmm...no spark. Talk about bummed! I fiddled around with the wire connections several more times checking for spark several times then out of the blue I saw BLUE!!! I put the plug back in and rolled it back to the street, gave her a push, popped the clutch and cough, cough sputter, sputter and ringdingding ding!!! How sweet the sound! And smell (Castrol synthetic).

I cruised it up and down the cul-de-sac a few times and headed up the street. I opened it up a little and got a gnarly harmonic vibration that caused the gas tank to splash out through the cap. Slowed her back a little and couldn't stop grinning. As a matter of fact I am still giddy.

By the way, I installed my engine on a 60's?-70's? era Schwinn Tiger 2 speed kickback.

Sorry but no pics yet...it's kinda ratty looking and cobbled together with a 24'' rear wheel.

Damn this is going to be FUN!!!!!

Dan

He's hooked :)

Back