How do i mod this type of pipe baffle?.

If you look at any performance exhaust you see smooth lines, reason is turbulence, it disrupts the flow. If it were me, I would want a one piece baffle tube, with a straight through flow.

Mark,You have nothing at all to lose, so you may as well cut it. If your not happy, you could always slide a slightly larger pipe over the leftover baffle that you leave after your cut. Go for it.

I tried to straighten it out but its no use. Tried pliers and a hammer it wont budge. The metal is super hard.

Any other suggestions? thanks :cool:

Btw i dont have any fiber glass
If u can't straighten it out cut it at both ends(approx 1'' from each end) and put a metal sleeve in there.Make sure it's a TIGHT fit and also glue it with heat resistant resin glue.Drill holes in the sleeve FIRST to your hearts content...the more holes the better performance but the louder it'll be.

BTW...with all those guns lying around the place remind me NEVER to argue with you. :)

Pic 1 ~ Keep

Pic 2 ~ Toss

Attachments

• Picture 1.jpg
    Picture 1.jpg
    14.6 KB · Views: 262
  • Picture 2.jpg
    Picture 2.jpg
    18.4 KB · Views: 252
I cut the crimp out of the baffle and then connected together the 2 piece's left with a metal tube. My original speed before the mod was 25mph and my new speed is 30mph. Thats a pretty big improvement. :D

My question now is if i installed it with No tube connecting just the straight short piece and discarded the other piece would it go faster than just taking the crimp out and reattaching it?.

Did it improve the grunt for the whole range of speeds or just the top end? Did it increase the noise level appreciably? Inquiring minds want to know.

Dr, Phil is in.
What would you like now?
What I like about you is that you ask questions and follow through.
You have learned lots by testing so give your idea a go. As i said before, you have nothing to lose. You will not hurt anything playing around with your muffler.
Next?..............hehehehehe

With the baffle connected with a tube it goes 30MPH with alright acceleration and its about 15% louder with only a few popping sounds every ounce in awhile. with no tube and the baffle cut down too 2 inch's it goes 32MPH with very fast acceleration and its about 30% louder with alot of popping. IMo it sounds like a dirt bike

Its a good louder. It sounds like a real engine now.

I haven't tried the tube installation with drilled holes yet so i dont know if it would be possible to go even faster than 31MPH. What do you guys think?.

Last edited:
what you did by eliminating the crimp was allow flow straight thru the full diameter of the tube, same thing (almost) as a full gutting...drilling more than one hole is almost the same, too...so, might as well gut it altogether (chop it off about 1.5" inside the cap) for a bit more flow and hardly any more noise.

my opinion, based on riding with and without. and 12 years of custom exhaust work.

Back