How to make a windowed piston

You actually need a windowed piston to take full advantage of the reed valve. They work hand in hand. Really no point in having one or the other. Open up any 2 stroke dirtbike and they will have both.

You don't need a windowed piston with a reed. You can always go case induction. No need to cut up the piston then. Just the case.
I dont think much of the guys on here are doing case induction anyway. Everyone seems to lean towards reed valve or no reed valve.

You actually need a windowed piston to take full advantage of the reed valve. They work hand in hand. Really no point in having one or the other. Open up any 2 stroke dirtbike and they will have both.
No you do not. If you have case induction a windowed piston is completely and utterly useless.
I dont think much of the guys on here are doing case induction anyway. Everyone seems to lean towards reed valve or no reed valve.
You would need the reed for case induction, just not a windowed piston.

No you do not. If you have case induction a windowed piston is completely and utterly useless.

So then why do all performance dirtbikes (honda, kawasaki etc) have a windowed piston along with a reed valve? Why dont they have just one?
I have yet to see someone talk about case induction on here lol

Reed valve works just fine with my windowed piston. Ran like s**t without the window too. Just to see what it would do. Just took apart my brothers kx250 last month and it to had a windowed piston with a reed valve.

So then why do all performance dirtbikes (honda, kawasaki etc) have a windowed piston along with a reed valve? Why dont they have just one?
I have yet to see someone talk about case induction on here lol
They don't use a window piston as it is not necessary just as Karl said!
here's a top quality replacement, for them all and no window needed!

They don't use a window piston as it is not necessary just as Karl said!
here's a top quality replacement, for them all and no window needed!
Lmao

From what I am reading, with reeds, you either need a windowed piston OR case induction (I assume is a larger case opening or a larger piston opening?).

Am I on the right track?

Reed valve works just fine with my windowed piston. Ran like s*** without the window too. Just to see what it would do. Just took apart my brothers kx250 last month and it to had a windowed piston with a reed valve.
Then it is piston port and no case induction. Not all bikes have a window in the piston. You don't need it when it is case induction. Only when it is piston port. All the reed does it take over the intake duration timing instead of the piston. Allowing you a longer duration, like you get with case induction.

Back