How to ride LEGAL in Colorado?

Sounds like the climate on anything you build yourself...car/house/bike...is becoming illegal. Wonder what would've happened 100 years ago or so if the same laws had been in place for inventors of the original horseless carriages and the first motorcycles?
This is off-topic-on-topic, the real reason for all gripes about your government can be traced back to one thing, OVER POPULATION!When I was in school and they sent you to the guidance counselor, they tried to give you a direction in life, I never once heard "you may not want to have kids".The reason you can't build your own stuff without someone wanting to do a colonoscopy is,.... because there isn't enough space between backyards, and some moron can look over and say "that could possibly hurt my kids".A more modern approach would be to blame Ralph Nader, the safety moron.Maybe some people should die doing stupid things, so they don't continue putting their genes into the pool.All the problems you can come up with in 10 seconds are due to over population, costs, intrusion, pollution, freedoms lost.That and a general loss of respect for taking personal responsibility for you and your children.The reason we can't talk about that like adults, is a banned reason here, let's call it the "R" word (wuss out euphemism) Rant over.

OH BTW, buy a Puch or Peugeot moped frame, a few era appropriate decals, cut the VIN out, braze it to your frame, register as a moped, and I believe you can then get insur.I'd personally break the law, ride and be a good civil disobedient American.

Actually, Phoobar, public transit here in WA is incredibly cheap. Last summer
I put my pedal bike on the bus & carried on my panniers, etc. I rode 180 miles
to the Pacific beaches,(several transfers), for $5.50. I spent the week pedaling
the coastal bike paths and fishing. I can bus 40 miles & 40 back to shop round
trip for $2. (senior discount, but regular fare's only 50 cents more each way)

Attachments

• Univega Sportour 029.jpg
    Univega Sportour 029.jpg
    101.3 KB · Views: 344
  • Univega Sportour 030.jpg
    Univega Sportour 030.jpg
    86.6 KB · Views: 351
Actually, Phoobar, public transit here in WA is incredibly cheap. Last summer
I put my pedal bike on the bus & carried on my panniers, etc. I rode 180 miles
to the Pacific beaches,(several transfers), for $5.50. I spent the week pedaling
the coastal bike paths and fishing. I can bus 40 miles & 40 back to shop round
trip for $2. (senior discount, but regular fare's only 50 cents more each way)

I would love to be able to live in an area where public transportation would be a priority. Living in the largest cities you actually get it about public transportation. Being a teacher's aide...I have to hear the BS all the time that people believe the lie that they're paying way too many taxes for schools/transportation or whatever they cry about needing to support...but as long as the other guy does it. Living here in Colorado Springs...we have some type of a bus system...but where I live...the nearest bus stop is about 3 miles away and that only runs whenever the minor league baseball team is in season during the summer. The rest of the time...the nearest stop is between 5-10 miles away and you're still going to wait at least an hour for the bus.

Then...you have someone like myself who wants to be as self-sufficient as possible by actually owning my own transportation which is also economical...but because I built it myself...I can't legally ride it. I swear...China and the rest of Asia is more on the ball than the US.

Do you live in Black Forest? Is it even a forest any more?
I left C. Sprs. 40 years ago; lived on the western slope
another 15 before moving to Washington. Where are you?
And Troy, I was banned briefly for the "R" word, but I hear ya.
I rode for years here before MBs became semi-legal without
any problems. Because I rode responsibly, the cops let that
'eccentric old man on the funny lookin bike' slide. For the
past couple years, I've pedaled 10 mi. for every one motored.

Last edited:
Do you live in Black Forest? Is it even a forest any more?
I left C. Sprs. 40 years ago; lived on the western slope
another 15 before moving to Washington. Where are you?

I live and work in the Falcon/Peyton area. The Black Forest area is about 5-6 miles NW of where I am.

And Troy, I was banned briefly for the "R" word, but I hear ya.
I rode for years here before MBs became semi-legal without
any problems. Because I rode responsibly, the cops let that
'eccentric old man on the funny lookin bike' slide. For the
past couple years, I've pedaled 10 mi. for every one motored.

Had an interview last week for a job I really wanted out in another school. Was told that they would call me on Friday...but never did. That...the backwards people who flock to this area and the trouble this state is forcing me to look very seriously at leaving here again. Even Idaho and Arizona is looking better than what I have right now. At least I would be able to ride in either place without being forced to purchase something I can't get a business to sell me. At least I'm off this next week...so I can take the time to look at other options I seem to never to be able to have here.

Other than that...as soon as I get the NT manifold for my 4-stroke from Venice in...will be installing the throttle housing/new plug/new NT carb on the bike and will be able to get it running this week. At least doing this work will allow me to keep me from wanting to drive down to the DMV and ask them why they want to jerks toward those of us who want to enjoy our hobby.

Falcon used to be miles from the Sprs. I google mapped it a while
back and was dumbfounded by how big it's gotten. I don't know
about AZ, that's where the old go to die.:) My mom's there, 95.

Falcon used to be miles from the Sprs. I google mapped it a while back and was dumbfounded by how big it's gotten.

Oh yeah! When I lived here about 20 years ago...if you blinked...you already drove through it.

I don't know about AZ, that's where the old go to die.:) My mom's there, 95.

Hate being under the AC for 8-9 months out of the year...but with the way Colorado has/is becoming...it's starting to look better and better. At least there...I won't have the same problem I have here. I have the week off from teaching...so it might not be a bad idea to look at other places when I'm sitting here being bored. That way...I won't be bored.

Anywhere is gonna have a down side. I hate large urban areas. If I wuz to move
back to Colorado, I'd pick a place in the boonys, yet not too far from a walmart,
like Delta or Montrose. Crawford's nice,but mighty remote. They used to grow some
mighty fine herb down Delta way.

Anywhere is gonna have a down side. I hate large urban areas.

Don't mind the urban areas...as long as I don't have to drive everywhere. I detest traffic lights in any fashion...so with only 6 blocks from my work from formerly driving 45 minutes before that time...I want to work and will be riding the MB there. With a 20 year old Ford which is on its last little toe...not sure if I could even have my car in a place like Denver. Would be forced to buy another car...if I wanted to drive. About 10 years ago...was considering moving to Salina, KS. Is about the same size as Twin Falls...only without the worries of living in the State of Northern Utah.

If I wuz to move back to Colorado, I'd pick a place in the boonys, yet not too far from a walmart,
like Delta or Montrose. Crawford's nice,but mighty remote. They used to grow some
mighty fine herb down Delta way.

I've met some people from Delta and Montrose. I'm not too impressed with Colorado Springs with Focus on Satan and that crew...but was almost flabbergasted at the backwardness of the ones I met from towns like these. If the climate were better...McMurdo sounds like a place I might enjoy. :sick:

Back