Colorado: Low powered scooter registration on 50cc swapped CRF250 frame.

dcdirtrider

Local time
5:16 AM
This question is Colorado-specific, regarding the "low power scooter" law. I am planning to build a 50cc "scooter" by throwing a KTM 50cc engine into a 125/250/450cc dirt bike frame. However, I can't tell whether or not the DMV checks the VIN# to verify the engine meets the displacement requirements. They require a VIN# on the application, but I'm not sure what they use that for other than the label on the registration tag. I don't want to go through all the hassle of building something that can't be registered in the category it was built for.

My question is only about the DMV and VIN#, nothing else. These bikes already exist, but they're either hard to find, too expensive, or don't/can't meet Colorado's moped requirements. I just want to build an Aprilia RX 50 clone without spending several-thousands of dollars or being boned trying to register the "scooter".

This question is Colorado-specific, regarding the "low power scooter" law. I am planning to build a 50cc "scooter" by throwing a KTM 50cc engine into a 125/250/450cc dirt bike frame. However, I can't tell whether or not the DMV checks the VIN# to verify the engine meets the displacement requirements. They require a VIN# on the application, but I'm not sure what they use that for other than the label on the registration tag. I don't want to go through all the hassle of building something that can't be registered in the category it was built for.

My question is only about the DMV and VIN#, nothing else. These bikes already exist, but they're either hard to find, too expensive, or don't/can't meet Colorado's moped requirements. I just want to build an Aprilia RX 50 clone without spending several-thousands of dollars or being boned trying to register the "scooter".
Most VIN's are registered Nationally. Try looking it up in the various data bases such as https://vpic.nhtsa.dot.gov/decoder/

The complete "Vehicle" description comes back. I just did it with one of my Whizzers..... So your Frame VIN will show what the bike is before you make any mods which might be an issue. In Florida, you would have to start the Assembled From Parts process since one of the MAJOR components is changed.

Most VIN's are registered Nationally. Try looking it up in the various data bases such as https://vpic.nhtsa.dot.gov/decoder/

The complete "Vehicle" description comes back. I just did it with one of my Whizzers..... So your Frame VIN will show what the bike is before you make any mods which might be an issue. In Florida, you would have to start the Assembled From Parts process since one of the MAJOR components is changed.
I have grabbed a few VINs from eBay, and thrown them into a VIN decoder previously, but some reports on (mostly Chinese) bikes came back with no listed engine displacement. Which might be good(?) because I could use their frames in the project since they have an open(?) engine displacement... maybe. My hope would be the DMV can't tell what engine it came with, so they can't tell the swapped engine isn't original.

I would go ask the DMV, but there's only one specific location that works with moped registrations, and it's 2 hours away.

I'd use the vin off of the frame. If a bicycle frame use the serial number. Go in and ask them. They're everywhere, county offices does plates, reg and titles.

I'd use the vin off of the frame. If a bicycle frame use the serial number. Go in and ask them. They're everywhere, county offices does plates, reg and titles.
DMVs are, but not the specific DMV that deals with scooters. There's only one in CO and it's 2hrs away. It's on that page you posted.

This is my understanding of the law. It was meant for DOT legal scooters under 50cc. When they wrote that law they did away with the motorized bicycle category. A bicycle is a bicycle even if you put a motor on it. Unless you're trying to put a 212cc motor and it's obvious. People are going to argue and disagree but court cases have said a bicycle is still a bicycle even with a motor. It gets all fuddled when you mix in bike bugs and electrics. You obviously are in a different category using a m/c frame which is not a bicycle. That's my take. Go in and ask them at the local office. Tell them what you have and see what they say. That's what I'd do. CO dept of revenue in Lakewood is the only office that issues low power decals by mail.

This is my understanding of the law. It was meant for DOT legal scooters under 50cc. When they wrote that law they did away with the motorized bicycle category. A bicycle is a bicycle even if you put a motor on it. Unless you're trying to put a 212cc motor and it's obvious. People are going to argue and disagree but court cases have said a bicycle is still a bicycle even with a motor. It gets all fuddled when you mix in bike bugs and electrics. You obviously are in a different category using a m/c frame which is not a bicycle. That's my take. Go in and ask them at the local office. Tell them what you have and see what they say. That's what I'd do.
Or, ride dirty. :p

It's technically illegal for me to ride my motorized bike in FL.

That said, something that looks like a dirt bike is going to get Police attention.

I have grabbed a few VINs from eBay, and thrown them into a VIN decoder previously, but some reports on (mostly Chinese) bikes came back with no listed engine displacement. Which might be good(?) because I could use their frames in the project since they have an open(?) engine displacement... maybe. My hope would be the DMV can't tell what engine it came with, so they can't tell the swapped engine isn't original.

I would go ask the DMV, but there's only one specific location that works with moped registrations, and it's 2 hours away.
The other factor is, if the bike has ever been TITLED, the DMV has a record and I believe full access to historic titles from every state. I ran into this with a bike with no title, whenI went to register it, the Florida DMV found the ACTIVE ohio Title. The title has the CC on it.

Back